Re: [mpls] seeking consensus on making draft-ietf-mpls-tp-te-mib read-only

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ipv6.occnc.com> Tue, 04 February 2014 20:08 UTC

To: Muly Ilan <muly_i@rad.com>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@ipv6.occnc.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 15:08:53 -0500
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-mpls-tp-te-mib@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-te-mib@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] seeking consensus on making draft-ietf-mpls-tp-te-mib read-only

Support these as read-only.

See inline for comments on prior post.

In message <60814a444d6343b5bc3eab5bbe181a3f@exrad6.ad.rad.co.il>
Muly Ilan writes:

> Oppose.
>
> In our implementation we need read-write/read-create access for the TE
> and LSR extensions.
>
> Specifically, the new functionality provided by mplsIdGlobalId,
> mplsIdNodeId and mplsTunnelExtNodeConfigTable can only be realized by
> read-write/read-create objects.

The reason that people in operations and equipment vendors both
generally oppose read/write MIBs is that they are a bad way to
configure equipment.  Some reasons are:

  1. MIB sets using UDP are unreliable and need to be confirmed.

  2. MIB sets generally require small configuration change operations.
     Sparse bulk set operations are not supported.

  3. Large configuration changes using MIB requires lots of small
     operations followed by confirmation in most cases after each
     small operation.  Large atomic operations are not possible.

  4. Large configuration changes are common for providers that batch
     changes and apply them during "maintenance windows" during very
     off-peak hours such that should something go wrong or small
     disruptions occur, the impact to most enterprises is minimal.

  5. Configuration changes, both small and large are better
     accomplished through other means such as NETCONF.

Note that some tools based on the Yang language can translate a MIB
into an XML dialect suitable for use with NETCONF.  This may be a good
transition strategy if you had planned to use read/write MIB.

> Regards,
>
> Muly Ilan

Curtis