Re: [mpls] [mpls-tp] Progressing Resolution of Erratum 2533 (RFC 5960)

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com> Wed, 10 November 2010 09:00 UTC

From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: Adrian.Farrel@huawei.com, ahmpls-tp@lists.itu.int, mpls@ietf.org, mpls-tp@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:00:38 +0000
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Subject: Re: [mpls] [mpls-tp] Progressing Resolution of Erratum 2533 (RFC 5960)

These are the same issue Adrian.  That is, if the server respects the single-source requirement of a connection (crucial for deterministic resource management anyway) then provided it carries only a single client over its (connection) lifetime one does not require a PID field...this information is carried as a semantic by the parent connection construct.  We can also omit a SA from the child traffic units of a connection for exactly the same (single source) reason.

Note that this is not true for a cl-ps server...such as native Ethernet say.  In a cl-ps layer network the traffic unit MUST carry 3 absolute labels:
-	full SA label
-	full (unswapped) DA label (for forwarding)
-	PID label

However, since a cl-ps server cannot provide deterministic resource management it is not a good idea to use it as a transport network.

regards, Neil