Re: [mpls] [Detnet] DetNet: draft-eckert-detnet-mpls-tc-tcqf-03 request for feedback

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Thu, 04 August 2022 18:02 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 20:02:47 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
Cc: "duzongpeng@foxmail.com" <duzongpeng@foxmail.com>, DetNet WG <detnet@ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, draft-eckert-detnet-mpls-tc-tcqf <draft-eckert-detnet-mpls-tc-tcqf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] [Detnet] DetNet: draft-eckert-detnet-mpls-tc-tcqf-03 request for feedback

On Wed, Aug 03, 2022 at 06:53:23AM +0000, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:
> I’m also interested in seeing this work progress., Toerless. I need to find time for a good review.

If you're busy, hold your breath a little while, after David's remark in Philadelphia
i am planning to add the text for use of DSCP so we also have it working for the
IP/IPv6 data plane in DetNet. Something i think a lot of the asian networks are a lot
more interested in than MPLS (i started with MPLS because its the best fully built
data plane we have).

> In the meantime I’d wish to progress on the architecture question of which layer or sub layer the shaper fits in.

Well, someone correct me, but so far we hacve no bounded latency functionality
in either the forwarding nor the service-layer. Instead, AFAIK so far we
only have it in the subnet layer. Aka: RFC9023/RFC9024/RFC9037 relying on
TSN bounded latency in the subnets.

[ Btw: The DetNet pictures could kina be improved to show the "subnet layer"
in the hosts and relays below the forwarding layer because the way the
pictures are now, it almosst looks as if the subnet functionality does
not happen in the DetNet Relay nodes, but only in intervening (e.g.: TSN) switches.
I am quite certain this would only be pictorial improvemenets, and it was always
understood that a DetNet Relay with TSN does of course also have the TSN subnet layer functions.]

If we don't want DetNet to rely on the subnet layer to provide bounded latency,
then i think it clearly belongs into the DetNet forwarding layer. Thats i think
also what i read from the DetNet RFCs.

> So far it was L2, DetNet did not cover it. If the application did not already shape its data according to the DetNet ingress expectation, the end to end service would not be rendered.

Well, i think in the host it would also be the TSN subnet layer doing the shaping
on behalf of the application, but unfortunately, i do not know TSN well enough
to know whether TSN actually models it that way. It would IMHO make sense though ;-)

> My feeling is that the shaper does not belong to the current DetNet sub layers either. It should sit above right below the application to control its output, and at the relays.

If we put bounded latency into DetNet (as opposed to the subnet layer), then i would
also claim that on the DetNet hosts it sits in the DetNet forwarding layer.

Cheers
    Toerless