[mpls] moving discussion to the mpls working group list

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se> Wed, 18 May 2005 09:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:46:48 +0200
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se>
To: mpls@ietf.org
Subject: [mpls] moving discussion to the mpls working group list
Sender: mpls-bounces@lists.ietf.org

MPLS working group,

there has been a discussion on the rtgwg mailing list on possible
extension to LDP for finding out the next-next-hop label
mapping. Possible applications for this functionality world be
fast reroute. Since the extensions to the LDP should be handled by the
MPLS working group, this mail is to indicate that the discussion
will be contiuned on the MPLS working group list.

The non-MPLS part of this discussion will remain on the rtgwg mailing
list.

This is the content of the last mail on the rtgwg thread
called "Re: the shen-mpls-nnhop Was:(Re: thoughts on
draft-bryant-shand-ipfrr-notvia-addresses-00.txt)"

/Loa

Naiming and Stewart,

Stewart Bryant wrote:

 > I think the interest that we are seeing in IPFRR for LDP
 > networks demonstrates the usefulness of this work. Sure
 > RSVP-TE FRR exists, but some customers have expressed
 > an interest in a solution that does not use RSVP.

However the MPLS working group need to take a decision if,
when and how this functionality should be developed.

The way of doing this would be

- write down the requirements
- send them to the mpls wg
- we go through the moces to establish the mpls wg consensus

Comments:

- I don't think FRR for LDP based MPLS enabled IP networks
   should not go into the rtgwg, the charter of the rtgwg seems
   to say the rtgwg takes of everything that does not fit into
   other routing are working groups (Alex and Bill comments on this?)

- my take is that for this purpose you could either document
   the requirements in a separate document or put them into one
   the existing documents. I've no preferences, but this should
   be rather short.

- my preference would be to speed this up so we could have
   a decision going into the Paris meeting.

Also I think it will be right to take this discussion to the
mpls wg list. I will write a mail to mpls list to that effect.

/Loa

--
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  loa.andersson@acreo.se
                                            loa@pi.se