[mpls] MT ID registry in draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-multi-topology

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Mon, 01 July 2013 10:58 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: 'Quintin Zhao' <quintin.zhao@huawei.com>, 'Alia Atlas' <akatlas@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 11:57:58 +0100
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-multi-topology.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [mpls] MT ID registry in draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-multi-topology

Hi all,

I want to try to bring the two threads on the MT ID ranges for IANA back
together to try to understand what is being proposed and what is possible.

First step is to recognise that the OSPF and ISIS registries exist and already
have numbers assigned from them. Thus we are not going to manage to converge the
OSPF and ISIS MT IDs into a single registry with the same meanings.

Alia says "it'd be very useful to have that range specifically set aside for
cases where it matters that it be the same" but doesn't give a concrete example
of such a case.

Furthermore, I am not comfortable with the idea that both OSPF and ISIS might be
running at the same time, as is implied here, each distributing a different
default topology, but with the two topologies being aggregated for use by LDP.
Perhaps I don't see the network that you are trying to build and deploy, and a
picture will help explain it.

My "understanding" of the use case is that a single instance of a single IGP
runs in an area. That IGP may distribute information about multiple routing
topologies, each topology having an MT ID. LDP is also running in the area and
distributes labels based on the preferred routes in each topology. Thus each
label advertisement includes a FEC and an MT ID.

In order to use the labels correctly, there must be a mapping between the MT IDs
used by the IGP, and those used by LDP.

It is also possible that through network-wide configuration of policy on the LDP
implementations, LDP will use the information from the IGP and the configured
policy to formulate new and different MPLS-only topologies. Thus, LDP might use
an MT ID for its own special topology.

There are two options:

1. Create a registry that is agnostic to the IGP in use (i.e. doesn't indicate
OSPF or ISIS) and which shows the use of the topology.
   0            Default topology
   1            IPv4 in-band management topology
   2            IPv6 routing topology
   3            IPv4 multicast routing topology
   4            IPv6 multicast routing topology
   5            IPv6 in-band management topology
   6 - a      Reserved for future IGP topologies (standards action)
   a+1 - b Reserved for IGP experimental topologies
   b+1 - c Reserved for LDP topologies (standards action)
   c+1 - d Reserved for LDP experimental topologies

2. Create a registry that is aware of the IGP in use and is built on the
existing OSPF and ISIS registries.
This would be modelled on what I suggested before, but adding allocations for
LDP itself...

     0                       Default/standard topology in IS-IS
     1                       IPv4 in-band management in IS-IS
     2                       IPv6 routing topology in IS-IS
     3                       IPv4 multicast topology in IS-IS
     4                       IPv6 multicast topology in IS-IS
     5                       IPv6 in-band management in IS-IS
     6-3995            Unassigned (intended to mirror IS-IS)
     3996-4095     Reserved for private use (from IS-IS)
     4096                Default/standard topology in OSPF
     4097                Default multicast topology in OSPF
     4098                IPv4 in-band management in OSPF
     4099-4127     Unassigned (intended to mirror OSPF)
     4128-4255     Reserved for private use (from OSPF)
     4256-4351     Reserved (IANA does not assign)
     4352-4511     Unassigned
     4512-4607     LDP use (standards action)
     4608-65531   Reserved for Private Use
     64432-65535 Experimental use

In all cases, my concern is what happens when a new IGP use is defined in an
RFC. It would appear that the LDP registry has to be updated to keep it in
synch.
It is also unclear to me how we handle mapping an IGP private use into the LDP
private use.
The intention of the scheme in the second option is to make that mapping
automatic so that when an MT ID is used in an IGP, we know how to map to the LDP
MT ID even if we don't understand the meaning of the IGP's MT ID.

It seems to me that what you might be asking for in your email is a single MT ID
value that is the default topology used by LDP when it is based on OSPF or ISIS
default topology and does not want to indicate which it comes from. It that is
the case, you could assign 4512 in option 2 for this purpose.

I am convinced that the solution to this problem is to work out what the mapping
algorithm is. How does an LDP implementation decide which MT ID to use in a
label advertisement? How does a packet-classifier decide which label to use?

The answer may be: "It is assumed that this mapping is manually configured on
every router"
Or it may be: "There is an automatic mapping between IGP MT IDs and LDP MT IDs"
Or it may be something else.

Once the answer is agreed, making a registry will be easy.

Cheers,
Adrian