RE: [mpowr] Re: [Solutions] Further work on WG (chair) roles - MPOWRWG proposal

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Tue, 16 December 2003 02:22 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:21:26 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Margaret.Wasserman@nokia.com, presnick@qualcomm.com
cc: mpowr@ietf.org, solutions@alvestrand.no
Subject: RE: [mpowr] Re: [Solutions] Further work on WG (chair) roles - MPOWRWG proposal
Sender: mpowr-admin@ietf.org

--On Monday, 15 December, 2003 14:19 -0500
Margaret.Wasserman@nokia.com wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I find that I must respectfully disagree with you.
>
>> * While it may be difficult to do so, it is ultimately more
>> reasonable to judge _IETF_ consensus on a procedural issue by
>> surveying comments on a wide-participation list than it is to
>> judge it from a narrowly-constituted WG
>
> AFAIK, we don't have any effective mechanism to reach a large
> percentage of the IETF population that doesn't select for some
> specific group.
>
> Any WG activity and/or process-specific mailing list (such as
> poised, solutions, problem...) will select for people who have
> the time and inclination to work on process-oriented
> activities. However, they do allow everyone who is interested
> in those discussions to participate.

They do not.  They allow everyone who is interested in those
discussions and can put up with the near-infinite N/S ratio to
participate.  And that is a small subset of the number of people
who are materially concerned with the outcome.

Please also note that, as soon as you say that we have no
effective mechanism to get IETF community consensus on
_anything_ (and you haven't said that, but you are getting
close), then we either need to accept the notion that some group
has oracular powers to determine consensus or you are proposing
that we are out of business.   And, while there are members of
the community who believe the IESG acquires oracular powers on
installation, I don't... and I know you don't either.

> We get, by far, the highest number of respondents when we
> conduct polls at the plenaries, and perhaps those polls are
> our best way to judge "IETF consensus".  However, they select
> for people who can afford to attend the meetings, and they are
> usually limited to simple (yes/no) questions.

I would certainly be very concerned if there appeared to be a
difference of opinion on an issue between a large number of
people at a plenary and a smaller number on a mailing list,
despite the greater openness of a mailing list.  I would be
especially concerned if the difference arose on a procedural
matter rather than an engineering one.  And my concern would be
independent of which side I found myself on.

> We do not get a strong enough response to any IETF Last Calls
> to believe that they reach a large representative sampling of
> the IETF population.

See comments above about inability to determine consensus
without an Oracle.  Also note that I consider "not enough
response to Last Calls" and "people comment lavishly on
documents they haven't read" to be, at best, symptoms of IETF
problems that ought to have high-order bits set.  I don't
believe that IESG review, no matter how many hours a week people
put in, can really substitute for either cross area checks by
the community or review and discussion after reading documents.
If the workflow is too high to make that plausible, then we need
to attack the workflow (whether it hits IESG, WG Chairs, or the
community first).

Whether they were good solutions or bad ones, the Huston-Rose
and O'Dell-Klensin I-Ds of a year or so ago were intended to
address the workflow problem.  Things that have been under
discussion lately discuss ways of moving work around, but not
ways to change the total workload to a level that the community
can effectively manage and cope with.   And, yes, largely as a
result, I've gotten impatient with process-diddling (or
arguments about process- diddling) that don't address those
basic issues of meaningful review and meaningful consensus.

>> * Any decisions coming out of the WG will be subject to IESG
>> approval.  If the IESG does not approve, then the WG becomes a
>> waste of time.  If the IESG knows of things of which it will
>> approve, then, if it believes there is some basis in community
>> consensus, it is free to make the changes today.  That leaves
>> a (probably very small, IMO) area in which the IESG possibly
>> prefers to not do something, but might be persuaded by a large
>> community consensus.  But, again, a narrow-focus WG is not the
>> best was to demonstrate such consensus.
>
> This assumes that the IESG already knows every possibility for
> improving the IETF, and can pre-judge everything that might
> come out of such a WG.  Personally, I trust the community to
> come up with some good ideas that I would not come up with on
> my own.

I am _not_ suggesting or requiring that the IESG be the source
of ideas.   I am suggesting that there are a lot of ideas
floating around already (the ones represented in your I-D
included).  I'm getting closer to offering some more.  I am
suggesting that some serous triage of those ideas by the IESG,
with the IESG really being willing to take responsibility for
what they/you like and don't like, would be in order.   I'd be
really pleased to see the IESG take the ideas that have been
floating around and divide them into

	* "Good idea, let's do it"
	* "Terrible idea, we won't accept it under any
	circumstances"
	* The community needs to think more about this, work
	through tradeoffs, and advise us further.

Bluntly, if the IESG were to put everything into the third
category, either because you (collectively) didn't have an
opinion about what would be helpful and what wouldn't, or
because you couldn't agree, or because any attempt to have the
discussion deteriorated into nit-picking, then I think it is
time to start firing IESG members.  And I'd like to see the
community have more hints about who to fire.

If some significant number of things were assigned the first
category, and were implemented, it might generate enough
interest to get some valuable, but totally frustrated right now,
people into the discussions about the third category and
additional ideas.

> The IESG does not have perfect knowledge of the IETF, nor do
> we encompass the perspectives of all participants.  So, I
> believe that wider community involvement in improving the IETF
> is needed, not just community review, at an IETF Last Call
> level, of  IESG-developed plans.

Margaret, the IESG regularly behaves as if it has perfect
knowledge, not only of the IETF, but of everything that affects
the protocol suite.  As far as I can tell, the IESG has
concluded that its knowledge and understanding is great enough
that it is appropriate for them to exercise a complete gating
function on all important Internet innovations (and maybe all
unimportant ones as well).   A decade or so ago, we could get
HTTP developed and deployed, and even assigned a system port,
without unanimous IESG agreement that it was a good thing and
met all IESG criteria for protocol design.  To digress a bit
further, there is a huge difference between saying "the IETF
functions as a standards body and, if you want the IETF seal of
approval, you must satisfy the community, and the IESG as
representative of that community, that you have met the IETF's
criteria" and saying "in order to do something that is fully
functional on the Internet, you need IESG approval".  The IESG,
with _no_ authorization from any procedural BCP or charter (even
if such a document could grant that sort of authority), seems to
be rapidly sliding toward the latter.  And that, IMnvHO, is bad
for the IETF and bad for the Internet.

But, if the IESG can believe that it has sufficient depth and
breath of understanding to set itself up for that level of
gating function, then, sorry, but it is reasonable for the rest
of us to assume that level of omniscience should extend to
figuring out what the IETF needs.

On the other hand, if these things really do require community
involvement, and I agree that they do, then I suggest the
community, or the (declining) fraction of the community that
cares and is willing to put up with the noise), has been
involved since Yokohama.  The question is what the stopping rule
is; when we shift from proposals and discussion to
implementation.  I am suggesting, based partially by subjective
estimates of participation drop-off and the number of new and
plausible suggestions coming in, that "now" would be a good time
to make that shift (and that it may already be some months too
late).  And my problem with MPOWR, is that I don't see stopping
rules, only an opportunity for more discussion, more generation
of suggestions that may not be much different from those already
on the table, and, finally, another review point at which you
(and I _know_ you are not the worst offender by a wide margin)
say "well, the IESG can't know everything it needs to know, so
we need another discussion and another WG".   At the risk of
sounding like, and maybe agreeing with, Dave Crocker, Yokohama
was 17 months ago this week, I don't see any significant changes
that have resulted from community discussion, so I have to
question the value of further discussion of that type.

>> * As Pete and others have pointed out, most of the things
>> that a WG might decide to permit or require under this
>> proposed charter are already within the scope of authority of
>> a WG Chair ... assuming that the relevant AD decides to
>> interpret the scope and authority that way.
>
> There are two different sets of changes:
>
>     - Changes that fall within the current bounds of RFCs
>       2418 and 2026.
>
>     - Changes that would require modifications to our BCPs.
>
> I agree with you that the IESG can unilaterally enact changes
> that  fall into the first category, and I think we should.
> Some ADs are  already running some experiments in their areas.
> We're also forming  the PROTO Team to do some focused work in
> this area, and to come up with a set of recommendations to the
> IESG regarding what types of experiments should be run and
> eventually what changes should be  made.

Good.

> I do NOT believe that it is the perogative of the IESG
> (hisory not withstanding) to enact changes that lie outside
> the bounds of RFCs 2418 and 2026.  Those changes can only
> be enacted through community consensus.

I would like to agree with you.   I will do so the moment the
IESG starts vigorously rolling back all of the changes it has
made in violation of those documents and the boundaries they
set.  Otherwise, I contend that the IESG can't both

	* make the changes that appeal to them, independent of
	existing BCPs and

	* not make changes for which there seems to be plausible
	community consensus, but about which the IESG cannot
	reach unanimity, by citing those existing BCPs as a
	reason.  From my point of view, other reasons, carefully
	explained and ideally identifying differences in
	position within the IESG and who holds which ones, would
	be extremely welcome.  But not either appeal to
	documents that the IESG feels free to ignore on other
	occasions or "death by sequential WGs".

Others probably have other lists, but, from my perspective, I
would like to see the IESG roll back, as a start on change and
evidence of good faith...

	(i) AD approval reviews, with arbitrarily long time
	allowances, between when a WG asks for a Last Call on a
	document and when the Last Call is issued.    We don't
	need to do it that way.  Yes, if a WG asks for an IETF
	Last Call without a good mutual understanding with the
	relevant AD, and the AD doesn't look at the document
	again until the Last Call is under way, the WG risks a
	nasty late surprise.  But the WG should be able to make
	that decision.

	(ii) No reviews of documents independently submitted to
	the RFC Editor that go beyond the "end run"  and
	"potential harm" criteria.  And no interpretation of
	"end run" as "hold publication until some WG, or
	combination of WGs, have completed their work, even if
	that is forever.  Disclaimers, yes.  Encouraging the RFC
	Editor to push back on authors for more clarification of
	where their ideas fit in the grand scheme of things,
	yes.  Deep holes into which to throw things, no.    And
	ignoring timeouts... no to that too: The IESG asked for,
	and negotiated, the current review process and the
	review process documented in 2026.  If the IESG doesn't
	consider the reviews important enough to do on a timely
	basis, then the IESG should figure out a way to get out
	of that business (which might include letting some
	things go and trusting the RFC Editor to decide).

	(iii) No IESG rejections of port or protocol assignment
	requests to IANA unless the IESG is able to reach
	consensus to reject and supply reasons to the requester
	that can be made public and that will withstand laugh
	tests.   If the IESG cannot reach such consensus, and do
	so quickly, it is a decision that this review task,
	which the IESG assigned itself, is not important enough
	and the request should go through.

Just examples, of course, and maybe not the most important ones.
I may try to for another list, and more details, soon.

> I agree with you that there are some options, other than a WG,
> for achieving community review and consensus, but I don't see
> other options that will allow for the breadth of community
> input that a well-run WG could allow.

The problem isn't the running of the WG.  The problem is
involvement by a significant fraction of the active,
working-on-protocols or other substantive WGs, community.   It
looks to me as if MPOWR is going to attract a subset of those
who are (still?) involved in Solutions, and that is an
unrepresentative enough group that it should make you as nervous
as it makes me.

>> (1) Let's have those ADs who are enthused about transferring
>> more authority and responsibility to WG Chairs, do it.
>
> Within the bounds of RFCs 2418 and 2026, we are already working
> on this.  Some ADs are already running experiments, and we're
> forming the PROTO Team to provide a focused effort in this
> area. There is nothing about the proposed WG that should delay
> these efforts, and I do not think that the IESG can (or will)
> use  "lack of community consensus" as an excuse for not
> improving the procedures and tools that we developed without
> any community involvement in the first place.

I don't share your confidence.  Of course, I don't expect to
hear "lack of community consensus".  Instead, I'd just expect
the ideas to go swimming around the bottom of some rathole until
the IESG decides that it likes them enough to stop nit-picking
(or doing whatever causes things to be thrown into such holes).

> While "just do it" sounds very compelling, we don't want to
> cause  confusion and/or create serious problems that will
> seriously delay  work within the IETF.  So, we are "just doing
> it" more carefully  than you might be suggesting.
>
> However, I think that the community can (and should) push the
> IESG to produce results in this area, as well as in the area of
> early cross-area review.

Ok.  We agree.  I consider these notes to be part of doing that
pushing, even if not quite the way you might like.

> I will, personally, be extremely disappointed in the IESG if
> we  can't show some significant progress in the following two
> areas by ~March 2004:

20 months after Yokohama.

>     - Improving the scalability, openness and effectiveness
>       of our internal procedures and tools, particularly
>       improving the visibility and control that WGs have
>       over their documents in the later stages of document
>       processing.
>
>     - Improving the level of cross-area review that is done
>       outside the IESG, particularly earlier in the process.

I would definitely consider those things to be worthwhile
accomplishments.  Do you have, and are you willing to discuss,
your contingency plan if you find yourself "significantly
disappointed"?  To state that differently, if I believed we
would be there by March 2004 (although I'd add a few other
things to the list... hints above), I would be settling down and
working on MPOWR, or whatever you suggested would get us there,
rather than complaining in this way and proposing alternatives.
After 17 months, I lack that confidence.   If you have a plan
about what we do if I turned out to be right and no significant
changes occurred by March, then I'm still willing to wait and
participate.   But I am concerned that, come March, we will
still be exchanging these sorts of notes and that little will
have occurred of significance other than the expenditure of more
time, bits, and hot air.

Moreover, as you know, I tend to be a lot more concerned about
organizational behavior than about rule-structures.  The latter
are, at best, an accurate reflection of organizational behavior
and culture; they don't cause either.   If there are forces
within the IESG that are acting to block progress in these
areas, or that are likely to (continue to) ignore any rules the
community sets, they need to be identified to the Nomcom a long
time before March.

> To me, significant progress would include some specific plans
> for improvements that may be implemented in 2004, early reports
> from some ongoing experiments, etc.

My standards may be a tad higher, too.  If it were three or four
months past Yokohama, yes.  But, for 20 months out,...

>> Just
>> make an announcement about what you are expecting WG Chairs to
>> do and that you will rubber-stamp that action, without delay,
>> when it gets to you as AD.
>
> Some of this is already being done.
>
> It isn't clear that individual ADs can run all of the
> experiments that we'd like to see run.
>
> For instance, I'd like WG chairs to have the authority to
> temporarily  suspend the posting privileges of disruptive
> mailing list participants,  but that isn't something I can
> "just do", since it is not within my  perogative to approve
> the suspension -- the whole IESG needs to approve  it.

Ahem.   And who made the rule that the whole IESG needs to
approve this?  The IESG.  Without commenting on whether or not
it is a good rule or a bad one, you could get that rule changed
by convincing the IESG and the IESG alone.  And, if you are
sufficiently convinced that changing it is important, you could
propose that to the IESG and, if you couldn't get agreement,
identify to the community the IESG members who didn't like it.

> Also, there are two ADs in most areas, so we need to reach
> some  agreement with our co-ADs about what experiments
> will/won't be run  within each area.  In most cases, this type
> of moderating influence is probably a good thing.

Sure.  But I also keep being told that, increasingly, ADs are
dividing up the work in areas and not having much involvement
with each other's WGs.  Personally, I think that, if true, is an
unfortunate trend.  But you can't have a "those WGs are yours,
and these are mine, and we don't interfere with each other"
model and control over each other's experiments and management
styles.  One or the other.  And, again, the spirit of openness
would permit the two ADs involved to come forward and tell the
community "I favored the following experiment, and she didn't,
and we couldn't even reach agreement on doing it with some WGs
and not others".   Maybe the community would accept that.  Maybe
the community would decide it wasn't important.  Maybe the
community would retire one or both of you (via the Nomcom or via
recall).   I'm not convinced that any of those would be bad
outcomes.

>> (2) The other major concern that has been voiced involves WG
>> Chairs abusing their (possibly new-found) power.  But WG
>> Chairs serve more or less at the pleasure of ADs.   An abuse
>> can be discussed with the relevant AD (the procedures are
>> pretty clear about that).  If the AD refuses to do anything,
>> that situation can be appealed (that is less clear from the
>> procedures, but, IMO, it would be completely rational for the
>> community to consider recalling any AD who said "my
>> nit-picking reading of the procedures doesn't permit an
>> appeal in this case, so I vote to reject it without
>> considering the issues").
>
> I more-or-less agree that this should be sufficient chain of
> accountability, but unfortunately there are some
> well-respected  and outspoken members of the community who do
> not agree.  So, we need to do some more work before we can any
> reach consensus in this area.

And how will you decide when you have consensus?  Do you expect
some poor sucker who gets the job of MPOWR chair to make that
call?    Do you assume that more discussion between the people
who are sure that 2026/ 2148 provide all of the flexibility and
authority needed (at least assuming the ADs back people up) and
the people are believe that documents would need to be rewritten
in a major way will change enough minds for a clear consensus to
emerge?  Is the IESG going to accept it when that WG Chair
claims consensus or apply its own judgment?  If the latter, can
it just apply that judgment now?

>> If, once we have the output from this type of experimental
>> process, we conclude that the relevant BCPs need rewriting
>> (as I suspect we will), that is the right time to form WGs,
>> if needed. They will, at that point, have firm experience
>> behind them to evaluate.   But, right now, I think the
>> criterion for forming more WGs ought to be "there is evidence
>> that we need to do X, and we can't even try that without a
>> change in procedures".
>
> I think that there is evidence that we need to give WG Chairs
> more authority to control WG mailing lists.  I also think that
> we want to give WG chairs the authority to hold the WG to a
> set of internal WG processes that may include criteria for
> accpetance at various stages and/or certain amounts of
> cross-area or expert review.
>
> Some people say that RFCs 2418 and 2026 already empower WG
> chairs  to do those things, but other argue that having WG
> chairs do these things would violate RFCs 2418 and 2026...

Margaret, even a narrow reading of 2418 and 2026 -- much more
narrow than the IESG has applied when it suits their purposes--
says that the ADs, and the IESG, has most or all of this
authority.  I can find nothing in either document that says "the
AD has to do all of this himself or herself".  So, if an AD says
to a WG Chair (and the WG), "I want you to do X using your own
best judgment.  When you do it, do it in my name and I promise
to back you", the WG Chair gets the authority and _no_
procedures are being violated.  Now the community may decide it
doesn't like that.   It might scream at the nomcom for the AD to
be removed, or initiate a recall, or start burning people in
effigy.   And it might be entirely rational for an AD to decide
that he or she is to afraid of those outcomes to do anything.
But the authority and ability to do it certainly exists.

> People who have been in my WGs and/or my WG Chairs training
> know where I fall, but  my view is certainly not universal.
> So, at the very least, it  would be nice if our BCPs were less
> ambiguous about the responsibility  and authority of WG chairs.

Sure.  But either

	* the IESG has to lead the community, change the
	documents, and take the heat, or

	* the IESG has to lead, propose a process with some
	stopping rules in it that will actually lead to
	consensus and results, or

	* we will be having this discussion in six months.

john