[mpowr] Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-wasserman-rfc2418-ml-update-00.txt

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 11 February 2004 19:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:05:18 -0500
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
cc: mpowr@ietf.org
Subject: [mpowr] Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-wasserman-rfc2418-ml-update-00.txt
Sender: mpowr-admin@ietf.org

Margaret,

I think this summarizes what I have gotten out of the
discussions, with one qualification, noted below.  I'd love to
see this be a candidate for either an immediate IETF Last Call
or the procedure outlined in
draft-klensin-process-july14-00.txt, since I have no reason to
imagine that more debates about charters, or debates within a
WG, would tell us anything we don't know already.

(1) Qualification/ Substantive Issue: If you are going to be
precise here, the last sentence should read something like

	"Other methods of mailing list control, and longer or
	additional suspensions, must be approved by the IESG or
	carried out in accordance with other IESG-approved
	procedures."

This makes two changes, one of which I think is clearly
consistent with mailing list discussions.  The other is too,
although less clearly because there has been less discussion:

(i) The intent, as I understand it, is to permit a WG chair to
rather quickly suspend posting privileges in an abusive
situation and for a short period of time.  Even the possibility
of attaching a second 30 day suspension to the end of the first
one smells like abuse, and was not what seems to be intended.
So the WG Chair gets one 30 day suspension as specified, but
longer or additional ones need some additional consultation, up
through and including application of
draft-mrose-ietf-posting-04.txt.

(ii) Driven partially by the frustration and thinking that went
into the above-cited "process-july15" draft, I note that the
mailing list discussions identified a rather large space between
"maybe shutting someone out for 30 days is ok" and "shutting
someone off forever".  I think we need to view that 30 days
largely as a "cooling off" period and an opportunity for further
consultation about what might happen next, if needed, and under
what circumstances.   At the same time, I believe that the IESG
ought to be able to tailor the "what next" to the circumstances
-- which might include giving guidance to the WG Chair about
appropriate responses to different actions -- and then delegate
authority, either to the Chair, an AD, an IESG-designated
committee or subcommittee, or some combination of them that made
sense.  If we try to figure out those circumstances and rules in
advance, we will end up with very long procedural documents that
will always be responding to previous battles and wars.

(2) The -01 version of this, if there is one, needs
spell-checking.

(3) The procedural change I'd most like to see --not, in any
sense, the one that is the most important, but one of those I
find most irritating -- would result in an Internet Draft with
two or three pages of substance not ending up nine pages long.
I think those 8 1/2 pages are yet another symptom that things
have gotten somewhat out of hand.

    john