Re: [Msr6] 【Rewrite based on the Discussions】 Review of the Draft MSR6 Charter

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Fri, 01 July 2022 00:21 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 02:21:28 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: msr6@ietf.org
Cc: Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>, Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>, Yisong Liu <liuyisong@chinamobile.com>, Jen Linkova <furry13@gmail.com>, Russ White <russ@riw.us>, rtg-ads <rtg-ads@ietf.org>, "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com>, Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Msr6] 【Rewrite based on the Discussions】 Review of the Draft MSR6 Charter

Sorry if this train of thought below is a bit long, i hope its useful for MSR6 folks:

IMHO (speaking for myself, not my employer), one of the key reasons for MSR6
that i have seen is that there are significant number of networks designed
against the expectation that native IPv6 hop-by-hop forwarding is the only
required and desired forwarding plane, and that other parallel forwarding
planes hop-by-hop are not desired, including IPv4, MPLS or any other novel,
non-native-IPv6 forwarding planes (unicast or multicast).  But of course this
line of preferences is not unique to IPv6.

I still remember when i had to pitch IPv4 multicast into one of those
IPv6-only SP networks just because there where gaps in the IPv6 implementation suite
back then. It was seen as a really bad workaround (even though the subscribers
didn't see a difference in their TV service that was run over it).

Likewise, we (as the industry) did first introduce Multicast VPN (MVPN) with GRE/IP encapsulation
into MPLS/VPN networks (just because there was no native MPLS multicast), and while
that GRE encap it also delivered the same service quite well (thank you very much),
operators pushed hard until vendors and finally the IETF also introduced a native MPLS
multicast forarding plane (mLDP and RSVP-TE/P2MP). Not to mention control plane:
We had technical arguably perfectly working multicast MVPN signaling via PIM,
and operators forced us (vendors) with a lot of money to re-standardize/re-implement
pretty much the same functionality with BGP because that primarily just better fit the operators
network operations/design/constraints/preferences/requirements, but only to a small extend had
actual "functional benefits".

Aka: Whatever we did in IP Multicast as vendors and/or IETF, if its not modelled as closely as possible
to what network designs do in unicast, then we have to do that more closely aligned to
unicast option sooner or later for IP multicast.

Right now wrt. to native IPv6 network we already are IMHO "later", and there is
still outside of MSR6 proposals no native IPv6 stateless multicast work in IETF even though
there are very important classes of those native IPv6 only networks that
also have stateless per-hop steering for unicast and that want a comparable
stateless solution to scale and operate native IPv6 multicast better.

In the IETF, i can think of at least two working groups representing the interest
of such network design preferences / technical requirements wrt. MSR6. Both of these
groups work for IP-v6-only hop-by-hop forwarding networks:

- ROLL for low-speed native IPv6 networks (LLN)
  RFC6554 is the stateless steering solution header developed within 6MAN
  pretty much on behalf of ROLL interest and primarily by ROLL members

- SPRING for primarily high-speed native IPv6 networks
  RFC8754 is the stateless steering header developed within 6MAN
  pretty much on behalf of SPRING interest and primarily by SPRING members

Now, as we have seen in the past, the groups owning network requirements
and designs for IP unicast are not necessarily the ones who have the
best experience with IP multicast, but i think those groups are very important
adjacencies for MSR6.  Of course i can see a lot of benefit for MSR6 also
in other type of networks (high speed industrial and the like),
so certainly I would NOT like to see the scope of MSR6 to be constrained to these two
groups designs - but definitely support their requirements if there are
contributors willing to work on them.

Btw: I have seen a lot references to SPRING/SRv6 in MSR6 proposals, i have
seen little?/none towards ROLL. Which is fine if there are no current MSR6
contributors interested in ROLL, but if there is interest in MSR6 to be open
to engagements from ROLL, then maybe reach out to ROLL and invite them to
MSR6 @ IETF114.

>From my side, a bit of ROLL info: A few years back, i worked for about a year in ROLL
with other folks there to discuss use of bitstring technologies in ROLL/RPL,
and there was certainly good technical interest, but in the end just
not enough critical mass for the work to proceed due to contributor cycle cound
limits (back then, including unfortunately myself). But there are a couple unique
benefits for multicast via bitstrings in ROLL/RPL networks, and not even only for
multicast - but the very same solution could equally be used for unicast (as a
compressed unicast steering header).

If there is interest to contribute to MSR6 goals from both ROLL and
SPRING communities, then MSR6 could even help foster a common
MSR6 extension header design (even if requiring multiple options across
those different market spaces). The fragmentation of knowledge between ROLL
and SPRING and varous other factors made this a no-option in the unicast case.

I will refrain to make explicit suggestions if/how any of this makes
sense for a charter text, but just wanted to mention it as hopefully helpfull
thoughts for people interested in MSR6. Hopefully this was not too long.

Cheers
    Toerless