Re: [Msr6] MSR6 - Is there a BoF proposal?

Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com> Tue, 21 June 2022 11:29 UTC

From: Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com>
To: "Gengxuesong (Geng Xuesong)" <gengxuesong=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Yisong Liu <liuyisong@chinamobile.com>, "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "msr6@ietf.org" <msr6@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 11:29:07 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.81.209.143]
Subject: Re: [Msr6] MSR6 - Is there a BoF proposal?

Hi Xuesong,

Please see inline.

Best,

Dirk

From: Msr6 [mailto:msr6-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Gengxuesong (Geng Xuesong)
Sent: 21 June 2022 10:28
To: Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>; Gengxuesong (Geng Xuesong) <gengxuesong=40huawei.com@dmarc.ietf.org>; Yisong Liu <liuyisong@chinamobile.com>; adrian@olddog.co.uk; msr6@ietf.org

Hi Drik,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Please find some further comments inline.

Best

Xuesong

[Xuesong] Here may involve 2 further questions: 1. The service handler(SH) is supposed to process different kinds of service request. Just as you have mentioned, there will be " different ephemeral identifiers ". It seems that SH is supposed to support different application layer capability. So I'm wondering who will maintain this device? Service provider or content provider?

[DOT] Good question, thank you! The issues lies with how to determine the ephemeral identifier. In previous realizations of this idea, this was done through some operation over HTTP-based requests, which in turn required access to the content. So the SH was usually operated by the content provider. But I could also imagine a standardized interface for exposing such ephemeral identifier so that the return path multicast creation could be done at the service provider level, particularly for cases in which the path creation itself is not exposed to the content provider.

2. If different chunks belong to the same live streaming, the multicast service should be the same. Why it will lead to a different response (and different service set)?

[DOT] In this case, the content may be the same (and therefore also the ephemeral identifier) but you may still have distinct responses (with the same content being transmitted in each). Take OTT streaming, where requests to a specific content chunk can all be delivered in a single (multicast) response but synchronicity of the incoming requests determines how many distinct responses (of the same content) you will have. In experiments, we used bucket sizes of about 50% of the segment length to group a number of requests into one response. Any request coming later will be part of a separate response. This, of course, poses questions on how to convey the grouping (from the content provider to the service provider, if the response formation was done at the service provider) etc. So there is a range of interesting interface interactions that need considerations.

[DOT] But why doing all of this ¨C something the draft could outline more clearly, I must admit: it is clear that any request model of many to single content access leads to a linear increase of costs in relation to the requesting users (no matter what the timing of the requests are), while FRRM has the potential to flatten that (linear) curve, possibly significantly even, if requests are very much aligned time-wise! This is the main reason to position this as a more general communication semantic instead of an applicability for a technology, such as BIER or MSR6.

>  Service Handler is supposed to convey the multiple requirements of the same

> content and terminate the transport level protocols; PCE is supposed to

> allocate the multicast path and the corresponding header to the ingress node

> based on the request.

> [DOT] In the BIER realization, the PCE is only responsible for the forward path

> creation since the return path is created through a binary OR over all forward

> path for the same ephemeral identifier, hence allowing for creating that

> multicast path locally at the source (which is the receiver for the forward

> requests). This is what makes this fast in realization.

[Xuesong] To clarify a little, MSR6 tries to introduce different usage and meanings of bitstring, but the method introduced by BIER, which use bit position to represent egress nodes, is not excluded. But of course, if MSR6 TE is used, encoding of the return path will be more complicated. But still, there is no explicit multicast tree maintained in the intermediate nodes. The speed of response is only limited by the path source routing encoding.

[DOT] Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, no operations at the intermediary nodes are required, sorry if anything else may have come out as an understanding from my comment. It is indeed the speed with which the source can encode the ephemeral source routing information. My example of BIER (as well as a path-based technique over SDN that we used in the past) was to illustrate that it could be as simple as binary ORing the forward path information of each incoming request, which is really simple operation although assumes path symmetry (which is not always a given).

> I think this is a very interesting scenario, which may benefit from multicast

> source routing because of the fact that: ephemeral multicast request demands

> non-explicit multicast trees inside the multicast domain to circumvent

> incessant state synchronization and protocol convergence.

> [DOT] See above, the path may also be constructed entirely at the source only.

> There are differences when realizing in MSR6, as far as I can tell, not being

> quite as simple as a binary OR.

> Do you think it is also requested by this case to provide TE path in order to, for

> example, specify replication nodes or provide SLA guarantee?

> [DOT] It all depends on what one can execute at the source. If you contemplate

> to run this through a PCE for every return multicast, the supported frequency

> for doing so may become an issue.

[Xuesong] This may involve implementation. One possible method is that PCE calculate the unicast TE path to all the possible egress nodes. When there is new request for multicast, the only thing PCE is supposed to do is stick the unicast path together, delete the redundant path and generate a multicast path, rather than re-calculate the multicast path when there is new request. This may help increase the efficiency.

[DOT] Yes, there are a number of way one can think of making the ephemeral path creation actually fast, all of which rely on the fact that doing this decision at the source only inherently puts you in the ¡°rather fast¡± category already :)

> And the structure proposed by this document seems very similar to DVB A176,

> which is referred in the draft. It will be appreciated if you could give some

> further explanation about the relationship with DVB work.

> [DOT] The A176 reference seems a leftover from the original BIER draft, which

> included IP multicast text. I don't think it is relevant here anymore.

[Xuesong] In DVB A176, there is a reference architecture as the following:

[cid:image001.jpg@01D88572.E08247B0]

The multicast server and multicast client seems play similar role as ¡°service handler¡± in this document. So I¡¯m wondering whether the problem domain is also similar.

[DOT] Ah, right, we did indeed re-use the arch component in the form of the SH, but its function is different. Thanks for teasing this out!