[Mtgvenue] comments on draft-rescorla-anonymous-network-00
Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 02 April 2026 19:09 UTC
Return-Path: <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
X-Original-To: mtgvenue@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: mtgvenue@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id B9C3AD5B268A for <mtgvenue@mail2.ietf.org>; Thu, 2 Apr 2026 12:09:18 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1775156958; bh=cDCYZAgvA0fWnX9Dxder0QqTucw8Kdyws76U6lSQqHs=; h=Date:From:Subject:To; b=CSqPULqwLOBTPp7XRiGnztClVDEoqvp6VizZ2+OCLcjbhmYvLGEiw4pTyrHslXmqe kv8q5qvOdyBPRslmPUNUnGhcJkrEx+X+RD46xJVbduJTeVGuiMjYTvW/ANSTprIO+2 JrOyaL23qc8ugZZc8iGIHGI27OmkQdkhdX/WXLjI=
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.998
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.998 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H2=0.001, RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_CERTIFIED_BLOCKED=0.001, RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL_BLOCKED=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (2048-bit key) header.d=cs.tcd.ie
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31]) by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id 39S4C5Ya-ntb for <mtgvenue@mail2.ietf.org>; Thu, 2 Apr 2026 12:09:16 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from DB3PR0202CU003.outbound.protection.outlook.com (mail-northeuropeazon11020142.outbound.protection.outlook.com [52.101.84.142]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384 (256/256 bits) key-exchange ECDHE (P-384) server-signature ECDSA (P-256) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id F156CD5B2609 for <mtgvenue@ietf.org>; Thu, 2 Apr 2026 12:08:33 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=MjBnqVzlOlikss8WIpuD4R48aEEQEY3/hAaUW+/b8pXUBHqrkOvvwXgVArGgk9cZRzY104Hp2P4Uh8aF2KCHoVtDQhhbNkt+20VaBLVAM3UHlJkMKRlAXnlNi1jweHdTCZbEsGrtZCGYwj7n0Ls30mrwKzzx9C0DmedXHRM/PsmVUsAv3+Z5N8J36pOl/X4xoi3SumZQOgnAbUjtcc3fR8B9Q1M5GXv4pH+/z3QEys1krd5JT1qaopIDjEudy4UzKj9k0Sh91os4VwdhtWBFzBJInCLSHiBOdKAg8whXEs0Mt3Dn8AIOE0zMGNGH4ZQXEyDlr1jEWlFFwdYR6ASPsA==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector10001; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=cDCYZAgvA0fWnX9Dxder0QqTucw8Kdyws76U6lSQqHs=; b=kuPkEthUkrGvPMsMXnQn5dh55AzOsTNvZDcvNX4GDQh5mT0rONqJRF0ITTEaKIDyXpi3pwBw9u6yd9gUGH581Wj0odJfCX0OkMXJmIX6YvSO4giK84j1Tizl67FNjDWyCrGtrSjYRf6s6wox1BNj8S/MPb83bbBeJgQcGMIJ7PKBd/T5A+8x+5uc70tSzUbAFkXBkhE0ySTk0prwKSRbusv2GALcE2DEIUNH4xz5Qiq+O+Qke3jcnypr7nqgZPJ7DQB2ICR/TfXDBOaYZno8bmHLnLXZEvdJOYtUMOfqefHD3Tt16UlA1cFaAtX8TJptJUeHdfuIS6+UdZ6NpIsvKA==
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=cs.tcd.ie; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=cs.tcd.ie; dkim=pass header.d=cs.tcd.ie; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=cs.tcd.ie; s=selector1; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=cDCYZAgvA0fWnX9Dxder0QqTucw8Kdyws76U6lSQqHs=; b=LSQRQqoAyaEQMLj9k1lodHVgMvqcU00zkc0lqftY+GMkSAlJOgLGnSW1T/ATUuBCfVWfqstPcblW5TtyoosS1f4Kc3bLg+vX/1CG8Um3vGhxjY/2pmxxuQlLCTKqUILnw39NKyGVofKC6mxFrWsa+VdJPWtrS3fqHfSi2OQM7kAA4RzqhNQzboDRJ+/PMaDzt5lcMdecdN9IQdeSfjvDLIapZfLMFhp+LkKSnxavhV2r67Pioa+IYTqXS7zZAEAnH0GLQbFcIsyDP5naqwsgzyzAQy52fO7VwIrAjQly2Z7VK7/ZZf6ZYJlFrWjivJZuiemZyeUi30DqiAe6ch2DMg==
Authentication-Results: dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;dmarc=none action=none header.from=cs.tcd.ie;
Received: from PA3PR02MB11163.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com (2603:10a6:102:4b4::19) by AS4PR02MB8456.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com (2603:10a6:20b:580::7) with Microsoft SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2, cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) id 15.20.9769.19; Thu, 2 Apr 2026 19:08:24 +0000
Received: from PA3PR02MB11163.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com ([fe80::71cc:8d7f:5cb5:3772]) by PA3PR02MB11163.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com ([fe80::71cc:8d7f:5cb5:3772%5]) with mapi id 15.20.9769.018; Thu, 2 Apr 2026 19:08:24 +0000
Message-ID: <17d1ed3c-975b-4a08-804a-4fa897469a39@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2026 20:08:22 +0100
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: "mtgvenue@ietf.org" <mtgvenue@ietf.org>
Content-Language: en-US
Autocrypt: addr=stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie; keydata= xjMEY9GzphYJKwYBBAHaRw8BAQdAo6JvjmSbxHdQWPZdvciQYsHhM1NxQBU398Mmimoy4p7N M1N0ZXBoZW4gRmFycmVsbCAoMjU1MTkpIDxzdGVwaGVuLmZhcnJlbGxAY3MudGNkLmllPsKQ BBMWCAA4FiEEMG54R8tZDyZFrDOn5Njp+ZeoM90FAmPRs6YCGwMFCwkIBwIGFQoJCAsCBBYC AwECHgECF4AACgkQ5Njp+ZeoM93bogEA25ElRyX0wwg+kGEN1AoL60MoZfvQZ/VtmXY6IC5j +csBAIBpkL5ySuzJK2zLNZn9qQGht8IaUcA7cvDcLvS2uHUEzjgEY9GzphIKKwYBBAGXVQEF AQEHQILCPWOwW36e8D3pY8GmvvtItIT+A5uV80ist+WokVsQAwEIB8J4BBgWCAAgFiEEMG54 R8tZDyZFrDOn5Njp+ZeoM90FAmPRs6YCGwwACgkQ5Njp+ZeoM92bcAEA8R+8cpqRUIS+SoAN iO05xE6O/wEx8/e88BqzAYki3SoBAOQdwiPX+MQrAxkWD8xxOsdMOAtxYKpkD1n8aPJUw6QJ
Content-Type: multipart/signed; micalg="pgp-sha256"; protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="------------zqvRwfp0b1Egj9NDe3m2BzGo"
X-ClientProxiedBy: DB9PR01CA0028.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com (2603:10a6:10:1d8::33) To PA3PR02MB11163.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com (2603:10a6:102:4b4::19)
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-MS-Exchange-MessageSentRepresentingType: 1
X-MS-PublicTrafficType: Email
X-MS-TrafficTypeDiagnostic: PA3PR02MB11163:EE_|AS4PR02MB8456:EE_
X-MS-Office365-Filtering-Correlation-Id: a44c63e5-6081-4c1e-46e9-08de90eb3669
X-MS-Exchange-SharedMailbox-RoutingAgent-Processed: True
X-TCD-Routed-via-EOP: Routed via EOP
X-TCD-ROUTED: Passed-Transport-Routing-Rules
X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck: 1
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-Relay: 0
X-Microsoft-Antispam: BCL:0;ARA:13230040|376014|366016|786006|10070799003|19092799006|1800799024|56012099003|18002099003;
X-Microsoft-Antispam-Message-Info: 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
X-Forefront-Antispam-Report: CIP:255.255.255.255;CTRY:;LANG:en;SCL:1;SRV:;IPV:NLI;SFV:NSPM;H:PA3PR02MB11163.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com;PTR:;CAT:NONE;SFS:(13230040)(376014)(366016)(786006)(10070799003)(19092799006)(1800799024)(56012099003)(18002099003);DIR:OUT;SFP:1102;
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount: 2
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0: 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
X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1: vFo1mmIJsjTfMg==
X-OriginatorOrg: cs.tcd.ie
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Network-Message-Id: a44c63e5-6081-4c1e-46e9-08de90eb3669
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthSource: PA3PR02MB11163.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-AuthAs: Internal
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-OriginalArrivalTime: 02 Apr 2026 19:08:23.9453 (UTC)
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-FromEntityHeader: Hosted
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-Id: d595be8d-b306-45f4-8064-9e5b82fbe52b
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-MailboxType: HOSTED
X-MS-Exchange-CrossTenant-UserPrincipalName: xBg3bVgrreM6t6Z20/SLcYm2AVXaaisR+rgaCgaRPygg6yzLYWCTpJs86KNEgM/6
X-MS-Exchange-Transport-CrossTenantHeadersStamped: AS4PR02MB8456
Message-ID-Hash: MXGGF4RKI742XD6IJJJCJJBKKVVIV67I
X-Message-ID-Hash: MXGGF4RKI742XD6IJJJCJJBKKVVIV67I
X-MailFrom: stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency; loop; banned-address; member-moderation; header-match-mtgvenue.ietf.org-0; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: [Mtgvenue] comments on draft-rescorla-anonymous-network-00
List-Id: "List for email discussion of the IETF meeting venue selection process." <mtgvenue.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/mtgvenue/qrzW_TY69F4xBbpEhxlr46TFAHE>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/mtgvenue>
List-Help: <mailto:mtgvenue-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:mtgvenue-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:mtgvenue@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:mtgvenue-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:mtgvenue-leave@ietf.org>
(oops, this is a re-tx, I sent from the wrong a/c first time, and it's fine if the list admin discards that one) Hiya, I had another read of [1] and have the comments below. I do think this is a good document and entirely suited for AD sponsorship, so I hope that's what happens. Eliot's suggestion that this document be considered as setting out new "Important" requirements for venue selection seems fine to me, but I'd suggest we punt on that discussion until e.g. IETF LC time so haven't suggested that below. Cheers, S. [1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rescorla-anonymous-network/ - I think the word 'anonymous' in the filename is unfortunate - I don't think we have a requirement that everyone be anonymous in a strong sense when using the IETF meeting n/w. I do think we have a strong requirement that not everyone and everything done on the meeting n/w be identifiable though. Probably not worth changing the filename, but might be worth adding some text like the previous sentence? - Title: would this be better as "Additional Security and Privacy Requirements for the IETF Meeting Network"? I don't think the goal here is to set out all the security reqs, e.g. 'don't be a DoS accelerator' is probably a requirement but doesn't belong here. Similarly, I think mention of privacy in the title would be good. - General: I assume 'the IETF network' means the on-site meeting n/w, would it be better to be more precise about that? We don't meet these requirements for on-line interims for example (and that's ok). - section 1, Intro: the quote from RFC8718 is good. I note that that includes meeting the 'day-to-day needs' of meeting attendees, which includes personal use of the meeting network, as well as doing work on IETF things and e.g. for one's sponsor/employer. Those personal uses will commonly include managing one's home n/w from the IETF meeting, making travel arrangements and communicating with family etc. I think it'd be good to call that out as a requirement as it IMO imposes a higher bar for privacy than were the meeting n/w solely provided for use for IETF work. That could be done as a new bullet, in-between the current two perhaps. (I'm fine that the authors figure out good wording, but happy to make a proposal if that's useful.) - section 1, Intro: 2nd bullet, I'd suggest s/IETF attendees typically expect/ IETF attendees expect/ - section 1, Intro: 2nd bullet, maybe: OLD: If IETF users need to authenticate in a way that their Internet traffic can be attributed to them by local or upstream network operators, NEW: If IETF users need to authenticate in a way that their Internet traffic can be attributed to them by local or upstream network operators, or if meeting n/w logs are shared with other parties, - section 2, reqs: I'm not sure "These properties MUST also hold for upstream networks" is within our control. Suggest s/MUST/SHOULD/ there, or maybe say that "best efforts MUST be made to ensure these properties hold for upstream networks" or something? - section 2, reqs: maybe a general s/security/security and privacy/ change would be good here: OLD: This text is intended to ensure that IETF participants can continue to get the level of security that they require when they use the IETF network. NEW: This text is intended to ensure that IETF participants can continue to get the level of security and privacy that they require when they use the IETF network. - section 2, reqs: I sometimes use eduroam at IETF meetings, and can't get an arbitrary number of credentials for that. Does the 'arbitrary number' text need a tweak to allow for that or other SSIDs? I wouldn't like if this document provided an argument to not provide eduroam access and the term 'forbid' a bit later might be used in such an argument.
- [Mtgvenue] comments on draft-rescorla-anonymous-n… Stephen Farrell
- [Mtgvenue] Re: comments on draft-rescorla-anonymo… Michael Richardson