[Multiformats] Robert Wilton's No Objection on charter-ietf-multi-00-01: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 21 September 2023 12:36 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: multi-chairs@ietf.org, multiformats@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 05:36:39 -0700
Subject: [Multiformats] Robert Wilton's No Objection on charter-ietf-multi-00-01: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-multi-00-01: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-multi/

COMMENT:

I'm supporting Murray's block for further clarity here:

- From a process perspective, if the format is brought to IETF for
standardization then I think that the IETF needs to be able to improve/change
it.  It would be fine to state that backwards compatibility with existing
versions and deployment is strongly desirable.

- At a technology level, I'm not convinced that this is really a great
approach, particularly in that it seems to be a set of somewhat ad-hoc point
solutions (not all of which have been suggested for standardization at the
IETF).  Prior to this charter, I had no awareness that these multi-formats
existed at all, and it isn't entirely clear to me what the benefits are of
bringing them to the IETF.

Hence, I would ask the sponsoring AD to consider whether it may be a good idea
to hold a BOF on this topic to check that there is IETF consensus for doing
this work and to get agreement on the scope.

Regards,
Rob