Re: [multimob] multimob@IETF69 Meeting summary

Behcet Sarikaya <behcetsarikaya@yahoo.com> Wed, 01 August 2007 21:43 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:43:25 -0700
From: Behcet Sarikaya <behcetsarikaya@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [multimob] multimob@IETF69 Meeting summary
To: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>, Thomas C Schmidt <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
Cc: multimob@ietf.org

----- Original Message ----
From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
To: Thomas C Schmidt <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
Cc: Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya@ieee.org>; multimob@ietf.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:49:25 PM

On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:38 PM, Thomas C Schmidt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>> On Aug 1, 2007, at 10:51 AM, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
>>> Let me clarify. Bidirectional tunneling mentioned in Suresh's
>>> meeting summary refers to the tunnel between MN and HA as in MIP6/
>>> HMIP6. There could be Bi-Dir PIM and as Thomas says it could be
>>> of interest to mobopts. Bi-Dir PIM is not of interest to
>>> multimob. This is also clear from the meeting summary.
>> Why ? I was at the meeting and I did not get that impression.
>> Please be specific.
>
> I would not see such differentiation ...
> to make things clear: bidirectional tunneling and bi-dir PIM only
> share the "bi-directional" in the name - Bi-Dir PIM is not a
> tunneling protocol.

Absolutely correct. It is a means of setting up PIM to pass multicast
packets to and from a Rendezvous Point. No
tunneling is involved.

> On the other hand, bi-dir PIM is of special interest for source
> mobility, for receiver mobility it should admit similar behaviour
> as PIM-SM.

I would also agree here, with the addition that it might also be
useful when the sources are also receivers (the service model
basically assumes that nodes will be both).

[behcet] I looked at draft-ietf-pim-bidir-09.txt which is to become an RFC soon. It is about modifying PIM-SM with bidirectional trees. I can see value for us if bidirectional tree (not bidirectional tunnel as I originally thought )  routing will help reduce the latency for the mobile nodes.
So I stand corrected.

Regards
Marshall

> Cheers,