Re: [multimob] Adoption of draft-asaeda-multimob-igmp-mld-optimization-05 as a wg document

Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com> Fri, 03 June 2011 09:26 UTC

Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 17:30:30 +0800
From: Qin Wu <sunseawq@huawei.com>
To: "Romdhani, Imed" <I.Romdhani@napier.ac.uk>, Stig Venaas <stig@venaas.com>, multimob@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multimob] Adoption of draft-asaeda-multimob-igmp-mld-optimization-05 as a wg document

Hi, Imed:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Romdhani, Imed" <I.Romdhani@napier.ac.uk>
To: "Qin Wu" <sunseawq@huawei.com>; "Stig Venaas" <stig@venaas.com>; <multimob@ietf.org>
Cc: "Romdhani, Imed" <I.Romdhani@napier.ac.uk>
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 4:49 PM

Dear Qin,
Dear Folks,

Thanks for these clarifications. To answer your question about the case when a mobility agent is an IGMP/MLD Querier, the latest Mobile IPv6 RFC for example (rfc3775bis-13, Section 10.4.3) highlights the necessity that the Home Agent implement a sort of "per-tunnel behaviour" for multicast membership control messages. This standard stated that "to avoid ambiguity on the home agent, due to mobile nodes which may choose identical link-local source addresses for their MLD function, it is necessary for the home agent to identify which mobile node was actually the issuer of a particular MLD message.  This may be accomplished by noting which tunnel such an MLD arrived by, which IPsec SA was used, or by other distinguishing means". The implication of that means that the tuning mechanism that we (Multimob) are proposing needs to be adapted or adjusted to each mobile node specific needs.

[Qin]: Good point.

I am in favour of a windowing style management where the timers can be increased or decreased gradually and in an automated and intelligent way of possible. We can imitate the TCP windowing approach.

[Qin]:  Your proposal looks reasonable to me.

For the unsolicited report, you are right. Mobile nodes can send their Reports whenever they want independently of the subscription method (home or remote). In previous MIP standards, it was recommended that mobile nodes need to wait first the reception of IGMP/MLD query on the bi-directional tunnel before sending back their reports. For security raison, I think we cannot avoid the initial step of validating the CoA if the remote subscription is used.  What optimal subscription method a mobile node should use depends on many factors: availability of multicast service, access rights, scope boundaries, QoS performance, etc. If the home subscription is used, the Querier needs to speed up sending Query messages to mobile nodes to compensate the transfer delay. This may be also applicable in the remote subscription scenario, but any timer manipulations (in case where the HA is a Querier or IGMP/MLD forwarder for MNs) has be cautious! The behaviour of a mobile device may be different also in delaying his report messages depending on its awareness of which subscription method is used and the proximity of the IGMP/MLD Querier.

[Qin]:  Exactly. You have answered my question. Thanks.

Finally, it is worth clarifying the case where the Querier is not a router (case of IGMP/MLD Proxy for example). This will give us different IGMP/MLD tuning scenarios: simple router; router with mobility agent function: MIP access router, HA, Mobility Anchor Point; and IGMP/MLD proxy.

[Qin]: Agree. However the moblity protocol family is not limited to MIP, we also have PMIP, which one we should clarify first, which one we should focus on.

Again, I iterate my support for the adoption of this draft.

Kind regards,
Imed