Re: [multimob] MLD HLD Message

"Alvaro Fernandez" <Alvaro@soportemv.com> Fri, 16 May 2008 13:08 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 15:07:44 +0200
From: Alvaro Fernandez <Alvaro@soportemv.com>
To: Hitoshi Asaeda <asaeda@sfc.wide.ad.jp>, sarikaya@ieee.org, behcetsarikaya@yahoo.com
Cc: multimob@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multimob] MLD HLD Message
Sender: multimob-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

Just some comments: I read the draft about multicast and HMIPv6 and I have a doubt about if HMIPv6 is a succcesful technology or not.

I am not a Mobile IP expert, but from what I know:

1. 3GPP2 (USA) uses Mobile IP but not HMIPv6
2. 3GPP (Europe) uses something similar to Proxy Mobile IP draft and still doesn't support Mobile IP
3. IMS (IP Multimedia Subsytem) is expecting the Proxy Mobile IPv6 draft to reach RFC status. This technology is considered "critical" for IMS. IMS is based on IPv6 but I think it still doesn't support Mobile IP ( I am not sure about this) Both 3GPP and 3GPP2 are going to implement IMS

Of course, Mobile IP can be used not only in Mobile Phones. It can be used with WIFI, Wimax or other wireless technologies. But I think it's better one solution for muticast Mobile IP that could be also used with 3GPP, 3GPP2 and IMS.

So, my doubts are

is HMIPv6 a successful technology?
is it really being implemented by ISP?

Best regards