Re: [multimob] Comments on draft-krishnan-multimob-pmip6basicmcast-solution-00

Stig Venaas <stig@venaas.com> Wed, 28 October 2009 23:49 UTC

Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:49:47 -0700
From: Stig Venaas <stig@venaas.com>
To: Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya@ieee.org>
Cc: multimob@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multimob] Comments on draft-krishnan-multimob-pmip6basicmcast-solution-00

Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> <with co-author hat on>
>
> Thanks for providing comments on this and other drafts.
> See below:

I think the problem here is that LMA encapsulates and sends data to each
MN individually. Hence it must have a list of addresses for all the
receivers. These need to be unique for the MAG to determine to which MN
to send the data. Hence it cannot be link-local. You say you will MN-HoA
which would be unique. However, the MLD reports forwarded to the LMA
have link-local source address. I think for this to work, you either
need to rewrite MLD report source addresses from link-local to MN-HoA,
or the MAG needs to encapsulate the MLD reports and use MN-HoA as source
in the outer header.

My other concerns with this draft are:

Additional encap/decap by MAG/LMA. This is new functionality that must
be added.

My main issue is really that the benefit of multicast is lost between
LMA-MAG, since multicast data packets need to be replicated per MN.
This especially means increased bandwidth usage.

Also that the MTU available for multicast is further reduced. In general
I believe one cannot assume PMTUD for IPv6 multicast, so we have a
problem if the MTU gets too small. I guess since one cannot assume PMTUD
to work for IPv6 multicast, the data may be 1280 bytes or less. I think
the bigger MTU we can allow the better. In any case, we need to make
sure that after all encapsulation, we can still accept 1280 byte packets
(unless we also do fragmentation and reassembly).

There is also a performance cost in doing additional encap/decap and
replication of all multicast data. Fragmentation/reassembly would of
course also be expensive.

The main benefit I can see with this proposal is that state is
minimized on MAG (but increased on LMA). It may also be beneficial for
LMA to learn which MNs are trying to join if it needs to perform some
form of AAA. AAA could maybe be done by MAG too though.

Stig