Re: [multipathtcp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-bonaventure-mptcp-timestamp-00.txt

Nigel Williams <njwilliams@swin.edu.au> Thu, 30 October 2014 04:55 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:55:18 +1100
From: Nigel Williams <njwilliams@swin.edu.au>
To: Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be, multipathtcp <multipathtcp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-bonaventure-mptcp-timestamp-00.txt

Hi Olivier,

Just had a couple questions to get a better understanding of how an
implementation might behave.

Is the expectation that an MPTCP-TS option (either the sender-timestamp
or echo) be included on outgoing packets whenever there is space for it?
(and only withheld if there is say a larger MPTCP option or we require
an additional SACK block etc)

At the end of Section 3 there is the following note:
"The MPTCP TS may also be used to verify that a subflow remains active
by forcing a remote host to reply to an MPTCP segment without sending data."

I assume this is done by sending a MPTCP-TS option with E unset to
elicit an echo? If this is the case, since replying with a timestamp
echo is a "SHOULD" behaviour, how much can we rely on this to indicate a
subflow's status?. Perhaps you could clarify in case I've misunderstood.

cheers,
nigel