Re: [multipathtcp] Options or Payload?

"Ford, Alan" <alan.ford@roke.co.uk> Tue, 10 November 2009 01:52 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:52:44 -0000
From: "Ford, Alan" <alan.ford@roke.co.uk>
To: Yoshifumi Nishida <nishida@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
Cc: multipathtcp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] Options or Payload?

We had considered that, however the main reason against this was whether
certain middleboxes would split and coalesce TCP payloads thus breaking
the placement of the extended options - the TCP payload is essentially
no longer a continuous stream.

Wes Eddy proposed a "Long Options Option"
(http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-eddy-tcp-loo-04.txt) which seemed to be
a possible way of doing a very similar thing, by negotiating to ensure
that long options would work along a path. Although, this draft is now
expired, and I'm not sure why it was dropped. Anyone know?

Regards,
Alan