Re: [multipathtcp] MPTCP Proxy questions

Weixinpeng <weixinpeng@huawei.com> Tue, 12 August 2014 08:10 UTC

From: Weixinpeng <weixinpeng@huawei.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 08:10:08 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.76.176]
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] MPTCP Proxy questions

Hi Jordan,
Please see comments inline. Thanks!
BR,
Xinpeng

From: multipathtcp [mailto:multipathtcp-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Jordan Melzer
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2014 3:03 PM
To: multipathtcp@ietf.org Mailing List

Thank you Xinpeng.

I realize I accidentally wrote “off-net” instead of “off-path”.  The “off-path” link is the bottom one that goes around the proxy.  Hopefully that clears up some of my comments.  If both hosts are MP-capable, the “off-path” link may be something we would like a proxy that is trying to insert to allow and not affect.

For the case where a client is MP-capable but the server is not, the only change in behaviour to what you outline in your draft is that the proxy uses a REMOVE_ADDR message instead of the P flag to suppress the second sub-flow establishment.  Your solution based on the “P” flag involves fewer packets and clearly has no race condition.  I didn’t feel that the draft directly addressed what the alternative to the new flag was and how that flag was an improvement.

[Wei] Honesty speaking, there is no significant difference between a legal proxy and a malicious MITM, because the security mechanism provided by MPTCP is not aim to protect the communication session for the case a MITM locates on the path between two hosts, so an entity locates on the path can do **everything** it wish agnostically to end host including acting as a proxy. The reason why “P” flag is preferred is that we want to inform the existence of proxy to end host, so for the user side, it could choose to fall back to normal TCP in case it does not want to use the proxy.

Without the “P” flag, the flow might be as follows:

MP-Capable Client: A                MPTCP Proxy: P             Server: B
     ------                         ------                    ------

<session setup, proxy passes traffic with no changes>

        MP_CAPABLE (syn)   ----->

      [A's key, flags]

<Server response indicates it is not MP_CAPABLE>

                                                       <-----     syn/ack

                               <--- MP_CAPABLE (syn/ack)

                                    [P's key, flags]

      ACK + MP_CAPABLE      ->

      [A's key, P's key, flags]

                                                  ACK  ---->

<proxy adds a new address>

                                      ADD_ADDR

                               <-      [IP#-P1,

                                      IP#-P1's Address ID]

<proxy removes original subflow>

                               <-    REMOVE_ADDR
                                     [Address ID zero]

The client should now create subflows from each of its interfaces to the proxy.  The proxy transfers data back and forth between this connection with the client and the session it is conducting with the server using the spoofed IP of the client.  As I have not tried this, I cannot verify that it works.
[Wei] Seems the above flow chart would be ok for the scenario.

For the case where two hosts are MP-capable but single-interfaced and a proxy in the network with a west-facing interface of P1 and two east-facing interfaces (P2 and P3) and where P1 and P2 are naturally on-path, if the proxy would like to introduce new routes, the packet flow might look something like this:

MP-Capable Host: A                MPTCP Proxy: P           MP-Capable Host: B
     ------                         ------                    ------

<session setup, proxy passes traffic with no changes>

        MP_CAPABLE (syn)       --------------------->

      [A's key, flags]

                               <---------------------           MP_CAPABLE (syn/ack)

                                                             [B's key, flags]

      ACK + MP_CAPABLE      ----------------------->

      [A's key, B's key, flags]

<proxy adds a new address for each side>

                                      ADD_ADDR

                               <-      [IP#-P1,

                                      IP#-P1's Address ID]

                                      ADD_ADDR               ->

                                       [IP#-P3,

                                      IP#-P3's Address ID]
<when the client sends an MP_JOIN, the proxy changes the addresses / address IDs>

MP_JOIN               ->

      [B's token, A's nonce,

       A's Address ID, flags]

                               MP_JOIN               ->

                               [B's token, A's nonce,

                               P3's Address ID, flags]

                                                  <-          MP_JOIN

                                                             [B's HMAC, B's nonce,

                                                             B's Address ID, flags]

                        <-    MP_JOIN

                             [B's HMAC, B's nonce,

                              P1's Address ID, flags]

      ACK + MP_JOIN       ---  NAT -->

      [A's HMAC]

                           <--- NAT ----                        ACK

I would welcome suggestions on a better mechanism for this.  Let me note that the expired draft-hampel-mptcp-proxies-anchors-00 included quite a few approaches to proxying.

Re multiple sub-flows, if a client uses additional local ports, it can create multiple flows on a single interface.  By starting new flows on different ports, a client could try to probe for ECMP routes in the network.

Jordan