Re: [multrans] Draft Multrans 2nd BoF request

Tina TSOU <Tina.Tsou.Zouting@huawei.com> Thu, 15 September 2011 07:34 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 07:35:23 +0000
From: Tina TSOU <Tina.Tsou.Zouting@huawei.com>
To: "gjshep@gmail.com" <gjshep@gmail.com>
Cc: "multrans@ietf.org" <multrans@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [multrans] Draft Multrans 2nd BoF request

Hi Greg, Spencer et al,
This is the revised draft BoF request. I'm sending it to the TSV ADs because I believe the sense of the room at IETF 81 was that the use case of interest is IPTV, and my understanding is that the interworking specifications would appropriately be done in TSV (same as BEHAVE in TSV for unicast).

---
Working Group Name: Multrans BOF
Area Name: Transport Area
Session Requester: Tina Tsou

Number of Sessions: 1
Length of Session(s):  2 hours

Number of Attendees: 100
Conflicts to Avoid:
 First Priority: PIM, MBONED, RMT, V6OPS, SOFTWIRE, BEHAVE
 Second Priority: tsvarea intarea

Special Requests:
 N/A

In current deployments, the IP multicast forwarding scheme is used by many providers to deliver some services, such as live TV broadcasting.
Transition to IPv6 raises issues and corresponding requirements. In particular, IPv4 service continuity is an essential requirement from a business perspective.
This specifically includes continued receiver access to IPv4-formatted contents even when the assignment of a dedicated global IPv4 address to the receiver is no longer possible and even after the receivers have migrated to IPv6.
Likewise, the delivery of IPv6-formatted contents to IPv4 receivers must also be possible.
Multicast transition scenarios include the ability to access IPv4-formatted multicast contents from an IPv4 receiver over an IPv6-only network and the ability to access IPv4-formatted multicast contents from an IPv6-only receiver.
The aforementioned issues can be classified into:
. Multicast group and source discovery procedures
. Multicast group subscription procedures
. Multicast tree computation
. Required IPv4-IPv6 multicast inter-working functions

The proposed BoF session aims at discussing use cases and prioritizing list of issues, forming a new WG.

The proposed agenda for the BoF session goes like this:
. Welcome introduction and agenda bashing (chairs, 10 min)
. Use cases (TBD, 30 min)
. Prioritizing list of issues (TBD, 30 min)
. Bashing the proposed charter (all, 30 min)
. Conclusion and next steps (chairs, ADs, 20 min)

Reading material:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jaclee-behave-v4v6-mcast-ps-02
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tsou-multrans-use-cases-00
---