Re: draft-eastlake-2606bis-00.txt: Suggestions for modifications

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> Fri, 21 October 2005 14:23 UTC

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
Subject: Re: draft-eastlake-2606bis-00.txt: Suggestions for modifications
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:23:15 +0200
Cc: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
To: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 12:55:36PM +0200,
 Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote
 a message of 57 lines which said:

> 1) I believe section 3.1  and 3.4 (reservation of "aso", "gnso", "afrinic",
> "rfc-editor" and so on) is inappropriate for the IETF and should be
> removed.

3.1 is clearly completely out-of-scope and must be removed. There is
no reason that strings like "iab" or "iana" should be prohibited.

3.4 is a bit different because we no longer talk about "back office"
organisations like IAB or ARIN but about operational uses. "nic" and
"whois" could be seen are reasonable names to reserve to the
infrastructure. I'm more hesitant about "www". While I understand that
http://www.example/ could be seen as a Web site authoritative about
the TLD example, I'm not sure that we should reserve "www" and not
"mail", for instance.

Probably, the logical conclusion will be to drop 3.4 completely,
because I'm not sure we can have a consensus on the list (may be just
on "nic"?)