Re: [dnsext] Validator assumptions: what algorithms need to properly sign a zone?

Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz> Mon, 26 March 2012 09:44 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1332755051; bh=Pa0cV3uOGXFHiLN5Zip5xaNCUnSQe5/wMUXGUNhyo+c=; h=Mime-Version:Message-Id:In-Reply-To:References:Date:To:From:Cc: Subject:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:List-Archive:List-Post:List-Help: List-Subscribe:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type:Sender; b=EdX/DHj+uGMKmS7PkT4tcgFELV6Vdkn3cq1u8uROIfkluBJzXERZAPMVN9RFpBtpv zGZt/0zWaxSUDClbxyxk+FNyjO7tapChjAoVd1WobKiMSM4kJjI84OTrjuE768mPdM 4NYEkp5cuGp4ksC/EktH4nEaf+yw3/bEesKbo3Q4=
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 11:43:47 +0200
To: Olafur Gudmundsson <ogud@ogud.com>
From: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis@neustar.biz>
Cc: "<dnsext@ietf.org>" <dnsext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dnsext] Validator assumptions: what algorithms need to properly sign a zone?
Sender: dnsext-bounces@ietf.org

At 11:42 -0400 3/23/12, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

>Both positions are arguable, but it is bad for resolver vendors to
>be put in this position to argue with customers why they disagree on
>the right answer, and DNSSEC operators need a strong message what is
>allowed.

I disagree.  There should be no argument.  A validator needs to be as
liberal as possible in building a secure "chain" to a trust anchor.
Liberal means using as many valid options as possible including
jumping algorithms.  Liberal does not mean bending the rules,
accepting invalid signatures nor accepting expired signatures.

The reason for the need to be liberal is that DNSSEC is an "add on"
which inherently makes the underlying system more brittle.  By
declaring once valid states of the DNS protocol to be dead states
(SERVFAIL) DNSSEC is choking off parts of the protocol.  To correct
for that, at least in the name of reliability, resiliency, and
availability, DNSSEC has to be as liberal (rugged is another word) as
possible.

Looking at the example, the A2 signatures would be consider not
germane by any validator that lacks an A2 trust anchor that was the
key doing the A2 signing.  The lack of A1 signatures would mean any
validator could rightly assume that something removed the signatures
("rightly assume" is not equal to "be right in assuming") and treat
the response as suspect/invalid *if not* for the presence of a valid
chain via the B1 algorithm.

A valid chain is harder to construct that an invalid one.  Make it it
harder for a malicious agent by recognizing that fact.  Don't make it
trivial to cause a denial of service.

>In the case of a validator that supports A but not B SERVFAIL is the
>right answer as the zone is not properly signed for that algorithm.

That is true.  In this case, the validator's failure to speak
algorithm B is a testament to a lack of ruggedness.

>Some people in this working group have argued that use/order of algorithms
>should be local policy and it is outside the documents scope to talk about
>this, others argue that will lead to unpredictability in resolution status.

Everything is trumped by local policy.  And if local policy is not
rely on an algorithm, that is a fact of life.   DNSSEC does not
guarantee the data will get though, it guarantees that is what is
received can be tested.  (Positive, validation isn't guaranteed, just
that the receiver will have the means to test.)

>Doodle poll available at:
>	http://www.doodle.com/7v5vmzvaerb2n8sb

Filled in the poll, but still reject voting. ;)