RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-06.txt

Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com> Thu, 21 July 2005 19:36 UTC

From: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com>
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-06.txt
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:36:06 -0400
To: namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org

Hi,

This draft revision is intended to respond to IESG comments. (You can find these comments via the ID Tracker https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi.)

I consider the most significant IESG comment to be that related to label case insensitivity in new CLASSes. I believe that it was always intended that classic labels be case insensitive for all CLASSes. This is essential for a recursive server to handle unknown CLASSes, for example. If you want labels that act differently, for example to be case sensitive, I think you need to define a new label type, whether these hypothetical new labels are being used in a new CLASS or an existing CLASS.

There was also some confusion among some IESG members concerning the part of the draft where the draft pointed out that if you "input" names with inconsistent case, a server can keep the case of the first input or let later input override the case or keep inconsistent case internally. But "input" in this instance means loading from a master file or dynamic update or the like. Some IESG members seem to have interpreted "input" as also including queries and somehow believed that I was saying you might get case dependent partial RR sets in your answer, exactly the opposite of "case insensitivity". I've tried to be much clearer in this version.

There are also some minor changes. See appendix in the drafts.

Thanks,
Donald