Re: DISCOVER - the return

bill <bmanning@karoshi.com> Thu, 08 January 2004 19:23 UTC

From: bill <bmanning@karoshi.com>
Subject: Re: DISCOVER - the return
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:23:33 -0800
Sender: owner-namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
Cc: bmanning@karoshi.com, namedroppers@ops.ietf.org
To: aboba@internaut.com

> >Is LLMNR an implementation of DNS or is it something that looks very
> >much like DNS but is not?
>
> LLMNR utilizes the DNS packet format defined in [RFC1035] but operates on
> a separate port with a distinct cache.
>
> >Unclear if they (the old draft) and LLMNR are compatable.
>
> If I understand this correctly, then the DISCOVER opcode is designed
> to run over a different multicast DNS protocol than LLMNR.

	LLMNR and mDNS may have evolved from the same root, but have taken
	minor varients in evolution.  LLMNR could adopt, with minor tweeks
	many of the original design features of mDNS.

> That's fine, but then you either need a normative reference to the
> protocol that you are using or you need to specify this protocol in detail
> within the DISCOVER draft.  Some questions:

	the "normative" reference for mDNS was rejected by the IETF but
	is part of the DARPA final report for that effort.  mDNS is
	normal DNS with multicast capabilities so there is no unique
	protocol.

> a. What port does the DISCOVER protocol use?

	Its not a protocol, its a DNS opcode.

> b. To what multicast address are DISCOVER messages sent?

	From http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses

There is a concept of relative addresses to be used with the scoped
multicast addresses.  These relative addresses are listed here:

Relative     Description                                       Reference
---------    ------------------------------------------------- ---------
  0          SAP Session Announcement Protocol                 [Handley]
  1          MADCAP Protocol                                   [RFC2730]
  2          SLPv2 Discovery                                   [Guttman]
  3          MZAP                                               [Thaler]
  4          Multicast Discovery of DNS Services               [Manning]

> c. Are responses sent via unicast or multicast?

	Unicast.

> d. How are name conflicts detected and resolved?

	See the TBDS/DARPA report.

> e. Exactly how are all the bits within the DNS header handled?

	Not clear what this means.  There is nothing particularly unique
	here, its just DNS.