[NAT] Re: IESG review of draft-ietf-nat-interface-framework-03.txt

Pyda Srisuresh <srisuresh@yahoo.com> Mon, 24 September 2001 14:40 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:28:30 -0700
From: Pyda Srisuresh <srisuresh@yahoo.com>
To: Scott Bradner <sob@harvard.edu>, matt@ipverse.com
Cc: mankin@isi.edu, nat@ietf.org
Subject: [NAT] Re: IESG review of draft-ietf-nat-interface-framework-03.txt
Sender: nat-admin@ietf.org

Scott,

Thank you for the comments. I will respond to the broad themes you raised.
As for specific comments, I will respond to you in a separate e-mail.

History:

   09/98 - The NAT interface Framework draft had been around since
           09/98. It had since evolved based on comments received
           from several people (including Kjeld, Yakov for example)
           mostly through private e-mails and corridor conversations.
   02/01 - Had several e-mail exchanges with the NAT-MIB draft authors
           who were using NAT interface framework draft as the basis for
           their draft. The NAt draft was presented at MIDCOM BOF.
           Several people suggested that I mention MIDCOM in the draft -
           so it is not a conflicting with MIDCOM, but rather complementary.
   04/01 - A new rev of the draft released including reference for MIDCOM.
   05/02/01 - The NAT draft completed WG last call and submitted to IESG.
   06/02 - IESG sent me a note saying that MIDCOM WG should look at the
           draft for consistency with MIDCOM.
   07/30 - No comments from MIDCOM list. Melinda sent you her referal.
   09/20 - IESG comments on the draft.

Editorial/Wording issues:
   I apologize for having to put you through the ordeal. That was not
   intentional. Hope you understand. I appreciate your feedback. I will
   fold in your comments and comb through the material meticulously one
   more time as best as I can to fix these issues.

Relevance to the WG and interest from WG:

   Matt and I can certainly poll the WG to see if they believe the draft
   content is relevant to the WG and if there is any interest pursuing
   the draft in the WG. If not this WG, I dont know what other WG would
   be a more appropriate forum to review NAT interface stuff. When someone
   raised this issue, I recall polling the folks for interest level in
   one of the IETF meetings. There were some nods that it is useful and
   should be continued. There was no dissent that I can recall. Lastly,
   the fact that the MIB draft was able to use this draft as the basis
   for MIB definition, in my mind, is a direct proof of its relevance and
   usefulness.

Reference to MIDCOM, basis for MIDCOM:

   The NAT interface draft, along with Kuthan-firewall-traversal draft
   was indeed used as the basis for the MIDCOM Architecture and framework
   draft. The fact that the core architecture diagram (figure 1) in the
   MIDCOM framework draft is derived directly from the NAT interface
   draft figure-1 just goes to show how relevant the draft is. Several of
   the cocepts discussed (ALG interface, Callback notifications, API for
   BIND and session query, set and free) were borrowed into the MIDCOM
   draft discussion.

I hope to work with you in resolving the issues. Thank you.

Regards,
Suresh

=====