[Fwd: Re: [Nea] use of a design team to develop requirements]

Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> Tue, 12 December 2006 05:36 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 00:36:22 -0500
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
To: nea@ietf.org
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [Nea] use of a design team to develop requirements]

--- Begin Message ---

-------- Original Message --------

> Hi Keith
>
> The purpose of the "design team" is to put a proposal on the table for
> discussion. This would be a first draft and in no way can be considered
> to reflect WG consensus.

Susan,

As I've already stated, I don't think this is an appropriate use of a
design team.  First, requirements should not be drafted before a shared
  understanding of the problem has been developed within the working
group, otherwise the group members are not on the same page.   There's
been almost no discussion of the problem on the mailing list, and what
little discussion has taken place is sufficient to indicate that there's
not a shared understanding of the problem yet.  Second, having a
hand-picked design team draft an initial set of requirements unfairly
biases the requirements towards the points-of-view of those individuals.
  Requirements and design goals need to come from a broad survey, not
from the opinions of a few handpicked people.

I also take issue with the goal of getting an initial requirements draft
out by January, because that's nowhere nearly enough time to get a
shared understanding of the problem, much less to develop requirements.

I also find it suspicious that the "participants in the NEA Requirements
Team" mentioned in draft-khosravi-nea-requirements-01.txt, which was
published in July 2006 (before this working group was chartered),
include both co-chairs of this working group as well as three out of
five members of the design that those co-chairs have handpicked.  It is
hard to escape the impression that the design team was picked precisely
to further the goals of a narrow set of people rather than to reflect
the broader interests of the working group, or of the Internet community.

Keith

--- End Message ---