RE: [nemo] RO: what have we learnt so far?

"Pascal Thubert \(pthubert\)" <pthubert@cisco.com> Tue, 09 November 2004 14:34 UTC

Subject: RE: [nemo] RO: what have we learnt so far?
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:22:49 +0100
From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
To: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <cjbc@it.uc3m.es>, cwng@psl.com.sg
Cc: IETF NEMO WG <nemo@ietf.org>
Sender: nemo-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Carlos :)

Thanks a lot for this review. Chan-Wah and I discussed quite a bit on the light of other Pb Statement drafts and we agree that the MANET based approach did not get a fair treatment in ours. We need to improve on that, maybe comparing with LMM based approaches, which provide quite similar results - the "flatten" the nested tree from the standpoint of the outside.

For LMM based (say DHCPv6PD+NEMO), you need a LMM enabled node close the AR. This would have to be deployed pervasively, on the Access Provider side. But there's no need for a new standard to deploy on the MR side since both PD and NEMO are used as is. The only addition that could be needed is about locating the LMM box.

OTOH, for MANET based, the difficulty is opposite: you need all nodes to agree on a given MANET, one that can transport prefixes and provides a solution for the default route; but a gateway might or might not be needed on the Access Provider side, hopefully not.

As a result, we see that the adoption of one approach vs. the other could depend on the deployment. For a vertical, it could be doable to force a same MANET in all boxes. For a consumer service, it could be easier that the SP deploys LMM boxes around.

Comments anybody?

BTW, yes, we have a ref on MIRON and other drafts but we lacked some naming them at the right place in the appendix. Next version will be better. Hopefully we'll have some experience from you in there as well :)

Pascal