Re: [MEXT] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-krishnan-mext-ha-redirect-00.txt]

Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com> Thu, 14 February 2008 16:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:58:03 -0800
From: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@azairenet.com>
To: George Tsirtsis <tsirtsis@googlemail.com>
Cc: mext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [MEXT] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-krishnan-mext-ha-redirect-00.txt]
Sender: mext-bounces@ietf.org

George Tsirtsis wrote:
> Hi Suresh,
>
> Your proposal seems to be based on the fact that RFC5142 (HA-switch)
> is not sufficient since it only works for MNs already registered in
> the HA. You argue then that an HA should be able to redirect an MN
> during initial registration (to which I agree).
> So, while this sounds reasonable, when IPSEC is used to secure MIP6
> signaling, would it not make more sense to get this information
> earlier? e.g., during the IKEv2 exchange?
>
> It is also worth noting that depending what kind of bootstrapping
> mechanism used the MN may already know a number of alternative HAs, in
> which case a BA with appropriate status (e.g., 130 Insufficient
> resources) would also work.
>
> Again, however, I am not saying that your suggestion is wrong, but
> that it is possibly applied to the wrong protocol.
>
> Thoughts?

Agree. When RFC 5026 was being standardized, there was proposal
to re-direct the mobile node during the IKEv2 exchange using
IKEv2 anycast addresses. There were some issues found with the
mechanism during the IESG review. It was about the destination
address on the outgoing IKE_SA_INIT (anycast address) not
matching the source address of the IKE_SA_INIT response (unicast
address of the selected HA). Firewalls or NATs could drop these
packets. So it was removed from the document during the IESG
review.

In some offline discussions, it was decided to move that mechanism
to a separate draft and also introduce an explicit REDIRECT payload
in the IKE_SA_INIT response from an anycast address. I was supposed
to have submitted this document months ago, but due to various
reasons, I haven't yet. I am planning to submit it by this Monday.

Vijay