Re: [nemo] commens on draft-jung-nemo-threat-analysis-01.txt

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com> Tue, 11 November 2003 20:53 UTC

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:50:52 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@motorola.com>
To: Thierry Ernst <ernst@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
CC: vijayd@iprg.nokia.com, souhwanj@ssu.ac.kr, nemo@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [nemo] commens on draft-jung-nemo-threat-analysis-01.txt
Sender: nemo-admin@ietf.org

Thierry Ernst wrote:
> However, while Vijay mentioned that some threats in
> dtraft-jung-nemo-threat-analysis-01.txt are not specific to NEMO, I
> still think it's useful to keep those in mind and the best way is a
> written document.

Right.

> Alex, what you wrote below is very interesting. Why don't you write a
>  short I-D and get help from other people ?  It's good to have a
> starting document on the table.

Here's a document you ask.  I'm going to submit it formatted after the
IETF meeting.  So, I would like to ask help from other people to help
with threat analysis.  This document is really in its inceptive phase, I
just tried to make it very specific to NEMO.  Please remark on the
presented threats, or suggest new ones.  Or maybe you find the structure
is not right, maybe one can change that too.

Disclaimer to Souhwan: this is in no way competition, just my way of
seeing the threats, thanks for understanding.

Alex
GBU

Internet Draft                                              A. Petrescu
Document: draft-petrescu-nemo-threats-00.txt                   Motorola
Expires: May 2004                                         November 2003

       Threats for Basic Network Mobility Support (NEMO threats)
		 <draft-petrescu-nemo-threats-00.txt>

Status of this Nemo

    This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance
    with all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

    Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
    Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
    other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
    Drafts.

    Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
    months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents
    at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as
    reference material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

    The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
         http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt
    The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
         http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Abstract

    This document describes security threats related to the network
    mobility base protocol (NEMO).  It does not present threats of
    Mobile IPv6.  The communication between MR and HA, as well as the
    forwarding information at HA and nested mobility configurations are
    considered to be the main sensitive points of the protocol.
    Existing tools of Mobile IPv6 protection between MN and HA (IPsec),
    dynamic routing protocol authentication, NEMO prefix table and
    ingress filtering checks at HA are presented as potential help
    defending against threats.

Table of Contents

    Status of this Memo................................................i
    Conventions Used in this Document..................................1
    1. Introduction and Overview.......................................1
    X. Interactions between MR and HA..................................
    X. Interactions between several MR's of same HA....................
    X. MR and HA in different administrative domains...................
    X. Forwarding Information Updates at HA............................