Re: ingress filtering for (n,n,n) (was Re: [nemo] Charter proposal

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Wed, 05 April 2006 11:08 UTC

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: ingress filtering for (n,n,n) (was Re: [nemo] Charter proposal
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:08:27 +0300
To: Chan-Wah Ng <chanwah.ng@sg.panasonic.com>
Cc: ml-nemo WG <nemo@ietf.org>, "T.J. Kniveton" <tj@kniveton.com>, Vijay Devarapalli <Vijay.Devarapalli@AzaireNet.com>

El 05/04/2006, a las 13:59, Chan-Wah Ng escribió:

> I have no disagreement with what you pointed out, but for the sake of
> discussion, I like to point out a few things:
>
> (1) By definition of ingress filtering, the problem will only occur
> from
> the direction of MNN towards CN, not the other way round.

agree that is why i described the difficulties in the provision of
fault tolernce in this direction, to show that there are relevant
issues that have no relation with ingress filtering :-)

> (2) In this direction, ingress filtering pose a significant, if not the
> most, problem for fault tolerance to work.

well, i guess that the most important issues are posed by failures,
rather that filters :-)

I mean, in the case of filters, you already know what is wrong and what
needs to be done in order to make it work. I mean, you can think of
much more general solutions to the ingress filtering problem, like the
ones described in
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-huitema-shim6-ingress-
filtering-00.txt

This approach allows to send the packets through the correct exit
router, so no problems will occur with ingress filters.

however, such approach is not good enough to deal with failures.
This is because we don't know when failures occur and we need to
reroute packets through alternative ISPs which do not match with the
prefix included in the source address.
I mean, if we want to provide ingress filtering capability, we can do
two things: i) allow that packets with an alternative prefix in the
source address get routed through an HA/ISP that has not delegated the
prefix in the source prefix or ii) make sure that  packets are always
routed through the correct HA/ISP.

However, if you want to deal with failures, the ii) option is no longer
avialble, and only i) is possible since the original HA/ISP is no
longer there. That is why i think that ingress filtering is just one
piece of the faul tolerance provision, and the real problem is fault
tolerance as a whole

> (3) A solution which provides fault tolerance capability to a (n, n, n)
> network can be easily used to overcome ingress filtering problem even
> if
> there is no fault.

agree, but the other way around is not true. I mean a solution that
provides ingress fitlering capability may not provide fault tolerance,
see
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-huitema-shim6-ingress-
filtering-00.txt

regards, marcelo