Re: about draft-nagami-mip6-nemo-multihome-fixed-network-01 (was Re: [nemo] Draft Agenda and CFP

marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es> Tue, 27 July 2004 15:21 UTC

References: <20040705124248.6b770d2e.ernst@sfc.wide.ad.jp> <6910A7E8-CFBA-11D8-B9D5-000A95DA08F2@kniveton.com> <20040712184738.62b08869.ernst@sfc.wide.ad.jp> <m2smbjh6u3.wl@n-ogashi_jaist.ac.jp> <4043F4C2-DC90-11D8-A131-000D93ACD0FE@it.uc3m.es> <m2ekn2rbdl.wl@n-ogashi_jaist.ac.jp> <2699A758-DCC4-11D8-A131-000D93ACD0FE@it.uc3m.es> <m2d62mr53n.wl@n-ogashi_jaist.ac.jp> <278B98DA-DEE6-11D8-A131-000D93ACD0FE@it.uc3m.es> <m2zn5muakn.wl@n-ogashi_jaist.ac.jp> <86012C65-DF13-11D8-A131-000D93ACD0FE@it.uc3m.es> <m23c3eeoex.wl@n-ogashi_jaist.ac.jp> <2E02DACD-DF21-11D8-A131-000D93ACD0FE@it.uc3m.es> <m2zn5mcjq1.wl@n-ogashi_jaist.ac.jp> <46CFC2F8-DFBE-11D8-A131-000D93ACD0FE@it.uc3m.es> <m2r7qxcxpl.wl@n-ogashi_jaist.ac.jp>
From: marcelo bagnulo braun <marcelo@it.uc3m.es>
Subject: Re: about draft-nagami-mip6-nemo-multihome-fixed-network-01 (was Re: [nemo] Draft Agenda and CFP
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:02:12 +0200
To: Nobuo OGASHIWA <ogashiwa@inetcore.com>
Cc: nemo <nemo@ietf.org>
Sender: nemo-bounces@ietf.org

El 27/07/2004, a las 16:48, Nobuo OGASHIWA escribió:

> Dear Marcelo,
>
> At Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:15:33 +0200,
> marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
>>> case 2) the prefix belongs to the yet another service provider (xSP)
>>>
>>> In this case, the xSP has an address block just for multihoming
>>> service.
>>> The xSP contract to the ISP1 and the ISP2.
>>> Under the contract, xSP setup HAs into ISP1 and ISP2's network, and
>>> the xSP's address block is advertised from the ISP1 and ISP2.
>>>
>>> We are assuming this case.
>>
>> Ok.
>> Then the ISP1 and ISP2 announce the complete block of the xSP i.e. a
>> /32 or they just announce the /48 that corresponds to the nemo that is
>> multihomed?
>
> Basically, our assumption is the former.

Ok this means that xSP needs to have as many /32 as possible
combinations of two providers which a site may multihome.
I mean, suppose that in a city there are n ISPs, then there are
n(n-1)/2 combinations of 2 ISPs which a site can multihome to, right?
Perhaps these are too many /32s?
And i am only considering sites that multihome to 2 isps, you may need
to consider the case when they multihome to 3, 4,...

Anyway, why do you need nemo or mipv6 to build such a solution?
I mean, imagine that you assign a /32 to each combination of any two
ISPs in a city, and you assign a /48 of this /32 of each site that
multihome to those two ISP. All you need now is that these two isps
announce the /32. You don't need nemo for this AFAICS.

Regards, marcelo