[netconf] Paul Wouters' Discuss on draft-ietf-netconf-tls-client-server-39: (with DISCUSS)

Paul Wouters via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 28 February 2024 20:46 UTC

From: Paul Wouters via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-netconf-tls-client-server@ietf.org, netconf-chairs@ietf.org, netconf@ietf.org, jeff.hartley@commscope.com, mjethanandani@gmail.com, jeff.hartley@commscope.com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:46:21 -0800
Subject: [netconf] Paul Wouters' Discuss on draft-ietf-netconf-tls-client-server-39: (with DISCUSS)

Paul Wouters has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netconf-tls-client-server-39: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-tls-client-server/

DISCUSS:

Two minor DISCUSS points that are likely easy to resolve.

1) 2.2 examples

This example uses tls11 and tls12. It would be better to use tls12 and tls13
as examples as tls11 is on its way to being deprecated. also "identity tls11"
is not defined in the document but they are for 1.2 and 1.3.

It claims in "identity tls12" that it's status is "deprecated"

I don't see that (yet) in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/bcp195/
or at https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/tls/documents/

1.2 is obsoleted by 1.3, but is not yet deprecated. I'm also not sure
why the "status" field needs to be there at all? What is the purpose of
this field? I read the description and it related to MUST NOT actions, but
I'm unsure what the difference is between not having the the entry (eg the
entire "identity tls12") or having the entry with the included "status"
field ? (again, sorry I am not a Yang Doctor)

2) !-- USE ONLY ONE AT A TIME

I am confused about this directive. Is it to the RFC Editor for generating
the yang? For the implementer to only allow one? For the user to only define
one?

What it you want to migrate from one method to another in a cloud of machines,
and you cannot update them all at once? Wouldn't having more than one give
you a proper migration path?