Re: [Netconf] NETCONF on Constrained Devices (NETCONF Light)

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> Thu, 09 June 2011 17:01 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 10:01:30 -0700
From: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: Kent Watsen <kwatsen@juniper.net>
Cc: "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Netconf] NETCONF on Constrained Devices (NETCONF Light)

On 06/08/2011 02:05 PM, Kent Watsen wrote:

> This I-D interests me, but not for resource-constrained devices...
>
> One of my roles at Juniper is to help recently acquired and OEM-ed devices implement NetConf plus our vendor-specific capabilities, in order to be managed by our NMS products.  My experience is
> that we can implement the basic<rpc>  layer, plus our vendor-specific RPCs, and maybe even support for "config-text" within the first release cycle and that full XML-based configuration (including
> schema to describe the data-model) may take another year.
>
> So, as part of a 1-2 year phased implementation, we commonly release devices that don't implement the full NetConf stack (accordingly, we don't Market them as supporting NetConf or let them listen
> on port 830).  Even though these releases have "incomplete" NetConf implementations, customers appreciate being able to manage them from our centralized NMS solution so quickly, and we appreciate
> that it's a logical stepping-stone to a complete implementation.
>
> In order to "advertize" that the device doesn't support XML-based configuration, we simply don't publish a schema to describe its configuration since, without the schema, our NMS is unable to
> manage the configuration anyway.  We view this as like publishing an empty schema, which then allows all the standard NetConf operations to be implemented as no-ops.
>
> That said, I've always wished for a more explicit mechanism for a device to advertize which (if any) of the standard NetConf operations it supports, which is very close to what your "NetConf
> Light" idea is about.  Perhaps there is an opportunity to combine these ideas together?

I like NETCONF Light for constrained devices where the config is so small
that it doesn't need to be managed in sections, as if it were a CLI.
Some devices will be so simple that they just know how to restart
and re-read the entire config file.

Alternate data formats for NETCONF is another matter entirely.
Maybe v2 down the road, client and server should advertise
a set of 'format capabilities', perhaps MIME types,
like application/xml, text/plain, application/json, application/junos-text,
and the session will use the first client choice the server supports.

I think several implementations support their own text .conf file format.
Everybody has their own text config file format!
(That's why linux is so great and why it also sucks ;-)

> Thanks, Kent

Andy