[netconf] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08.txt
Per Andersson <per.ietf@ionio.se> Wed, 28 January 2026 17:10 UTC
Return-Path: <perkietf@gmail.com>
X-Original-To: netconf@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: netconf@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id BF208AE66035 for <netconf@mail2.ietf.org>; Wed, 28 Jan 2026 09:10:31 -0800 (PST)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.877
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.877 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, FREEMAIL_FORGED_FROMDOMAIN=0.001, FREEMAIL_FROM=0.001, HEADER_FROM_DIFFERENT_DOMAINS=0.017, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H3=0.001, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_WL=0.001, RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_RPBL_BLOCKED=0.001, RCVD_IN_VALIDITY_SAFE_BLOCKED=0.001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31]) by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id fnaf1xT1OmD1 for <netconf@mail2.ietf.org>; Wed, 28 Jan 2026 09:10:29 -0800 (PST)
Received: from mail-pl1-f174.google.com (mail-pl1-f174.google.com [209.85.214.174]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 9F374AE6602B for <netconf@ietf.org>; Wed, 28 Jan 2026 09:10:29 -0800 (PST)
Received: by mail-pl1-f174.google.com with SMTP id d9443c01a7336-2a7a9b06eabso6695ad.1 for <netconf@ietf.org>; Wed, 28 Jan 2026 09:10:29 -0800 (PST)
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=1e100.net; s=20230601; t=1769620223; x=1770225023; h=content-transfer-encoding:cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from :in-reply-to:references:mime-version:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from :to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to; bh=5jEFhBX5xQPpF4ikJ4+9prk9FdGiDGqBLkaj0OY9Bdg=; b=gP5fJm+PEzOVRkfQiWTC0sBeX1fPlEx8c8CTYMSIShORj9sZiK8v0fD4C77+O3LmRS rbzfVHIJFZhhKRQdaT7w3vtwLhA2J+Pqd17iD4tbckPopoi2e3TzkPrYcaVZikISSBJb ekrbcLuslDhuOUulXSObrejoPXSpalFRjcW0sjh3+lAKp4BdAwD/Z/81tp+PxXz3ywji WBe1yq08H3sVlbT5eKUSqCgKJ7HJfywBjqFCSOC6mxF6GLqXhpGT4zcz0AyyFEhvB1YN DNWs4ZngbPz1RwgebCPtCD0Dh73u13FXF8pdvoWSfxTOMJ+qPnu/ABUII7VZZarVN8iS Lkiw==
X-Forwarded-Encrypted: i=1; AJvYcCX0zV7oJMc+nmJpBiWUSs9o/UruLNMl6AXReM1w8Jf/43gzrrBtQRGToWhgknlqIQk+ttup+LhZ@ietf.org
X-Gm-Message-State: AOJu0Yw9NaVynmdaomnDnoTBw04YEak2PJnE/sa6h3eEo2E1Kcr5mIEN BC3ZUKCYl/Ixdf5NLVD8nvU7oR1H5hzJUiDAAQx1Oa6eyrvE+TINFeGMf84+VEGO
X-Gm-Gg: AZuq6aL3SVSBXgyp5avXXg06DtF3eyaujp7P7tM261QPOS3OyHj0ithx9YYbJs2oNOH DqyIHufNo9Q5+t/0kIqM3USvC2ZGd1oB8mwGtASW+91JdOEDZeVxifMJSzsUjwWRloGMn/7E3kc 6zhnGpQmYXtn5b5q7knpWELKmP185jb+8Yjz4tvpSp6Ke2qdE0SI0zM6ZF2hj9msXiA6oMuoK8V HldciOlgj1tvpXfY1v3gZ1VBZoyRmqaEVauaTjT6ithUeebdJhrlOPiENZp9ysDbGL3CkmKiyjD nIyNHRWscdHTnPmGFZHkr6VU56x4CYMoM2JeBJFMmn1Ud334E5Xvz5t9SNClTpK9uAk98rt+9AO hv0TazGYippeWgW+R+T7NJf0e5QHKLowk4olGzEXNdU0ENFiBd++adxk5e23v9cuzHQ2sx1qfbr D901di12W3McHHzWrOVb0gzGQ3EW7kwj17/Mh3Q2lzVDx6d+ttnGkTOrU=
X-Received: by 2002:a17:902:e947:b0:2a7:84bb:158 with SMTP id d9443c01a7336-2a88e30980bmr18978305ad.0.1769620222403; Wed, 28 Jan 2026 09:10:22 -0800 (PST)
Received: from mail-pj1-f44.google.com (mail-pj1-f44.google.com. [209.85.216.44]) by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id d9443c01a7336-2a88b3ede23sm27694675ad.5.2026.01.28.09.10.21 for <netconf@ietf.org> (version=TLS1_3 cipher=TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 bits=128/128); Wed, 28 Jan 2026 09:10:22 -0800 (PST)
Received: by mail-pj1-f44.google.com with SMTP id 98e67ed59e1d1-34ce100aec4so2475a91.0 for <netconf@ietf.org>; Wed, 28 Jan 2026 09:10:21 -0800 (PST)
X-Forwarded-Encrypted: i=1; AJvYcCXBkxACsVnhRN3xT4ygdiEyjmjVeaTkpa4z0mNsxhJo6GelLoAInKVT1n/5lrBvA6b6vVqoyp7C@ietf.org
X-Received: by 2002:a17:90b:5102:b0:34a:b4a2:f0b5 with SMTP id 98e67ed59e1d1-3541364cd3dmr1765825a91.5.1769620221740; Wed, 28 Jan 2026 09:10:21 -0800 (PST)
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <28ef43bca20e4bed813c747ba3ffbc4a@huawei.com> <BY5PR08MB6296B8AC461FA32D21065E70FFD4A@BY5PR08MB6296.namprd08.prod.outlook.com> <0100019bbd6e9a75-b2ab1a8f-1dbd-4694-a4bf-226c2fcb4793-000000@email.amazonses.com>
In-Reply-To: <0100019bbd6e9a75-b2ab1a8f-1dbd-4694-a4bf-226c2fcb4793-000000@email.amazonses.com>
From: Per Andersson <per.ietf@ionio.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2026 18:10:10 +0100
X-Gmail-Original-Message-ID: <CACvbXWFVZ-8v0HnMR11GTQ0rt3hchtdCcXYUcB_d6_o=0tNekg@mail.gmail.com>
X-Gm-Features: AZwV_Qju-xG31wKkxlqcDa6Eqk4RRu7DoxzwHtzLyqfZ0YCkPkgblsWldhyub1A
Message-ID: <CACvbXWFVZ-8v0HnMR11GTQ0rt3hchtdCcXYUcB_d6_o=0tNekg@mail.gmail.com>
To: Kent Watsen <kent@watsen.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-ID-Hash: XHAF7BPCPDGRDH3OQ4PD2ZKDOBM4QCW7
X-Message-ID-Hash: XHAF7BPCPDGRDH3OQ4PD2ZKDOBM4QCW7
X-MailFrom: perkietf@gmail.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency; loop; banned-address; member-moderation; header-match-netconf.ietf.org-0; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <rwilton@cisco.com>, "netconf@ietf.org" <netconf@ietf.org>, "James Cumming (Nokia)" <james.cumming=40nokia.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: [netconf] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08.txt
List-Id: NETCONF WG list <netconf.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/netconf/6wrl7gaex4JEggtt55MK17jdMhY>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/netconf>
List-Help: <mailto:netconf-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:netconf-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:netconf@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:netconf-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:netconf-leave@ietf.org>
Hi, Rob, Qin, Quifang, are your review comments addressed by this document update? -- Per and Kent On Wed, Jan 14, 2026 at 5:55 PM Kent Watsen <kent@watsen.net> wrote: > > Great to see that there has been some activity on this draft since IETF 124. > > Qin, are your comments below addressed? > > Also, Rob (CC-ed), the 124 Minutes show that you were going to check to see if your comments were addressed. Have you had a chance to do that yet? > > Kent (and Per) > > > > On Nov 20, 2025, at 4:42 PM, James Cumming (Nokia) <james.cumming=40nokia.com@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote: > > Thanks Qin, > > Some comments inline then. Thanks for the review as always! > > James > > > From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> > Date: Sunday, 9 November 2025 at 22:45 > To: James Cumming (Nokia) <james.cumming@nokia.com>, netconf@ietf.org <netconf@ietf.org> > Subject: RE: [netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08.txt > > Hi, James: > > > > 发件人: James Cumming (Nokia) [mailto:james.cumming@nokia.com] > 发送时间: 2025年11月6日 7:18 > 收件人: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>; netconf@ietf.org > 主题: Re: [netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08.txt > > > > Hi Qin, > > > > Thank you for the feedback, and so quickly after the meeting. Much appreciated. > > > > I have a question about suggestion 1 below. It is easy to enumerate the list of course, but I wonder whether you (and the WG) feel that doing so might give an impression of an ordered list of importance, or some sort of decision tree, whereas, each of these items I envisage as equal in importance/priority? > [Qin Wu] I think you need to give each item equal importance/priority, My worry is you are unable to provide a complete list. > [JGC: Agreed, that is why we ended up with the bullet list. It sounds like this is still the right way forward] > > > > For point 2, we had originally considered this to be implementation specific. If the WG feel that we need to expose this in a standard way (?) then the authors will need to discuss, however, my initial thought would be a metadata annotation so that we avoid impacting device schema. This would involve another annotation to the <get> and <get-data> RPCs though to turn on/off this annotation (in a similar way that <with-origin/> works on the operational datastore. Do you have any initial feedback on that thought Qin? > [Qin Wu] It is not clear to me whether making in-conflict maker readonly to the client is sufficient. I think we can make analogy between in-conflict maker handling and merge conflict resolving in the github, > In case of merging conflict, the server might indicate to the client whether merge conflict is resolvable, if not resolvable, there is nothing the client can do about it. In case the merge conflict resolvable, > The client need to edit the content that is in conflict and click the button “Resolve conflict”. I am not sure how this can be addressed using the CRUD operation extension. > Maybe this is complicate to provide a design. In that case, I think you need to make clear how in-conflict marker is handled is not in the scope of this draft, make sense? > [JGC: OK, thanks for the feedback. Rob and I will look to see if this can be made any clearer] > > > > Thanks > James > > > > > > From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> > Date: Monday, 3 November 2025 at 10:37 > To: netconf@ietf.org <netconf@ietf.org> > Cc: James Cumming (Nokia) <james.cumming@nokia.com> > Subject: RE: [netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08.txt > > Hi, James: > Thank for the latest update and I have two comments: > 1: In section 3.7.1, a list of node modification cases have been provided, I am wondering whether we need to enumerate all the cases for node modification or just provide as some examples, or separate it out? > 2: Can you Provide an usage example of "in conflict" marker? How this "in conflict" marker is visible to the client? > > -Qin > -----邮件原件----- > 发件人: internet-drafts@ietf.org <internet-drafts@ietf.org> > 发送时间: 2025年11月2日 18:00 > 收件人: i-d-announce@ietf.org > 抄送: netconf@ietf.org > 主题: [netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08.txt > > Internet-Draft draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08.txt is now available. It is a work item of the Network Configuration (NETCONF) WG of the IETF. > > Title: NETCONF and RESTCONF Private Candidate Datastores > Authors: James Cumming > Robert Wills > Name: draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08.txt > Pages: 31 > Dates: 2025-11-02 > > Abstract: > > This document provides a mechanism to extend the Network > Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) and RESTCONF protocol to support > multiple clients making configuration changes simultaneously and > ensuring that they commit only those changes that they defined. > > This document addresses two specific aspects: The interaction with a > private candidate over the NETCONF and RESTCONF protocols and the > methods to identify and resolve conflicts between clients. > > The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is: > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netconf-privcand/ > > There is also an HTML version available at: > https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08.html > > A diff from the previous version is available at: > https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-netconf-privcand-08 > > Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at: > rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts > > > _______________________________________________ > netconf mailing list -- netconf@ietf.org To unsubscribe send an email to netconf-leave@ietf.org > _______________________________________________ > netconf mailing list -- netconf@ietf.org > To unsubscribe send an email to netconf-leave@ietf.org > > > _______________________________________________ > netconf mailing list -- netconf@ietf.org > To unsubscribe send an email to netconf-leave@ietf.org
- [netconf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-privcand… internet-drafts
- [netconf] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-priv… Qin Wu
- [netconf] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-priv… James Cumming (Nokia)
- [netconf] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-priv… Qin Wu
- [netconf] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-priv… James Cumming (Nokia)
- [netconf] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-priv… Kent Watsen
- [netconf] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netconf-priv… Per Andersson