Re: [Netconf] Subscription Use Cases

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Thu, 08 December 2016 09:07 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 10:07:45 +0100
To: evoit@cisco.com
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Cc: netconf@ietf.org

Hi,

"Eric Voit (evoit)" <evoit@cisco.com> wrote:
> Here are some more cases.  Happy to talk more or demo if people are interested.

I think Andy summarized the issue nicely earlier in this thread:

  What are the must-have, should-have, and nice-to-have features that are
  missing from RFC 5277?

I think your requirements below are more like driving forces for YANG
push, right?  Is there any of these that affects the solution in RFC
5277?

> (Category 1) Streaming Telemetry
>
> High volume set of objects pushed on a predictable schedule.
>
> (1a) Telemetry: Fast replication of YANG operational/config data
> off-box for traffic or configuration analysis
>
> (1b) Multi operations reporting: Send a targeted subset
> operational/config data to an Operations group not directly managing
> device
>
> (Category 2) Distributed Eventing
>
> No need to repeatedly poll to see if targeted subsets of Network
> Element config have changed. The latest is pushed as it happens.
>
> (2a) Integrity Verification: Push discovered changes in keys,
> config, software hash as they happen.  Application validates that
> change is authorized.
>
> (2b) Eliminate Polling: NMS/controllers pushed config changes as
> they occur in Network Elements (enabling real-time state
> synchronization).
>
> (2c) IWAN: Changes in Operational Data drive network rebalancing for
> optimized enterprise facilities usage
>
> (2d) Domain Policer: provide a single policed data rate across
> multiple data centers or branch offices
>
> (2e) DDoS Protection: send suspect spikes of traffic across a set
> devices to a scrubber
>

> (Category 3) Network as the Subscriber
>
> Distributed CPE, VMs, routers can subscribe to a fast changing
> centralized configuration repository
>
> (3a) Perimeter & Internal Blocking: When vulnerabilities are
> detected, ephemeral remediation policies are temporarily installed
> across a domain of devices.
>
> (3b) Tunnel Endpoint Synch: Filtered subsets of centrally managed
> tunnel Ethernet endpoints can be downloaded and coordinated across
> edge devices to minimize effort in maintaining dynamic mesh
>
> (3c) Policy mirroring: Enables trusted or partially-trusted edge
> devices to mirror the state of a central configuration repository

/martin