Re: [Netconf] [partial-lock] privilege of partial-lock

Balazs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com> Wed, 15 October 2008 15:15 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:15:46 +0200
From: Balazs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com>
To: fanhuaxiang 90002624 <washam.fan@huawei.com>
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Netconf] [partial-lock] privilege of partial-lock
Sender: netconf-bounces@ietf.org

Hello Washam,
I am not sure I understood your question correctly, but still see my reply below:
regards Balazs

fanhuaxiang 90002624 wrote:
> Hi,
>    partial-lock only allow a user on a session to operate in the same time, how about the same user with many sessions?
BALAZS: A user can have multiple sessions, but partial-locks are connected to one specific
session, the same way as global (RFC4741) locks. We wanted to follow the design of the global
locks. Also this ensures that a lock is always released when a session terminates. If we
connected the lock to a user, it would be harder to ensure that the lock is always released
correctly, that a lock doesn't stay hanging.
>    since the scope of patial-lock cover some nodes and their subnodes, how about I lock and delete one node, and
another people add it. the spec allow this to happen, does it lead to inconsistency?
BAFrom netconf-bounces@ietf.org  Wed Oct 15 08:15:08 2008
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:15:46 +0200
From: Balazs Lengyel <balazs.lengyel@ericsson.com>
To: fanhuaxiang 90002624 <washam.fan@huawei.com>
Cc: netconf@ietf.org
Sender: netconf-bounces@ietf.org

Hello Washam,
I am not sure I understood your question correctly, but still see my reply below:
regards Balazs

fanhuaxiang 90002624 wrote:
> Hi,
>    partial-lock only allow a user on a session to operate in the same time, how about the same user with many sessions?
BALAZS: A user can have multiple sessions, but partial-locks are connected to one specific
session, the same way as global (RFC4741) locks. We wanted to follow the design of the global
locks. Also this ensures that a lock is always released when a session terminates. If we
connected the lock to a user, it would be harder to ensure that the lock is always released
correctly, that a lock doesn't stay hanging.
>    since the scope of patial-lock cover some nodes and their subnodes, how about I lock and delete one node, and
another people add it. the spec allow this to happen, does it lead to inconsistenLAZS: Yes this can happen, and no we don't consider this as inconsistent. As described in the
draft the user should lock the parent node of the object he wants to delete/create to avoid the
situation you mention.
We could have allowed locking not existing nodes, however that is also a somewhat surprising
behavior.

> Regards,
> Washam
>  This email and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained here in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!

Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
TSP System Manager
ECN: 831 7320                        Fax: +36 1 4377792
Tel: +36-1-437-7320     email: Balazs.Lengyel@ericsson.com

cy?
BALAZS: Yes this can happen, and no we don't consider this as inconsistent. As described in the