Re: NETCONF over TLS

Tomoyuki Iijima <tomoyuki.iijima.fg@hitachi.com> Thu, 21 June 2007 00:06 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:57:45 +0900
From: Tomoyuki Iijima <tomoyuki.iijima.fg@hitachi.com>
To: "'Netconf (E-mail)'" <netconf@ops.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: NETCONF over TLS
Sender: owner-netconf@ops.ietf.org

Hi,

I agree with the following Andy's comment.

Andy Bierman wrote:

> > IMO, this should be handled with a different top-level element
> > than <rpc>, outside the scope of the NETCONF protocol.
> > That way, no special RPC code is needed at all.
> > Only sessions that have been properly authenticated, and <hello>
> > messages are okay, should be allowed to use <rpc> methods.

NETCONF and TLS are completely separeted mechanism. TLS were
standardized to carry any application/transport protocol. Since
SOAP/BEEP have been chosen as transport protocol of NETCONF, we don't
need to care about TLS over which SOAP/BEEP would run. Additionaly,
TLS's authentication mechanism is described fully in the RFC 2246. So,
NETCONF does not need to care about authentication. It is unnecessary to
publish NETCONF/TLS-like document.

In the following draft, I wrote my view about security in the case of
NETCONF/SOAP.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iijima-netconf-soap-implementation-02.txt

4.  Security Consideration

   Security should be considered from 2 angles.  One is transport-level
   security, and the other is message-level security.  Transport-level
   security such as encryption of entire message is left to SSL/TLS.
   However, the message-level security such as partial encryption of
   message or signature should be achieved by other technologies.  To
   fulfill that need, WS-security has been stipulated.

--

--
Tomoyuki Iijima
Hitachi, Ltd., Central Research Laboratory