Re: [Netconf] {+restconf}/data

Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz> Thu, 19 July 2018 20:53 UTC

From: Ladislav Lhotka <lhotka@nic.cz>
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de>
Cc: Netconf <netconf@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:53:01 -0400
Subject: Re: [Netconf] {+restconf}/data

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> writes:

> Lada,
>
> there is no point in changing the definition of {+restconf}/data since
> this would lead to interoperability issues and hence {+restconf}/data
> remains what it is.

Clients can have interoperability issues already now, e.g. if the server
upgrades to the new "ietf-interfaces" module:

- it can receive loads of unexpected state data and statistics

- no data may be available under "interfaces-state" (because of the
  ambiguity of the deprecated status).

> Yes, the new datastore names are longer but we did not want to require
> globally unique datastore names (which would require some form of a
> registry and that everybody uses the registry).

Most of the text in RFC 8040 deals with the {+restconf}/data resource
and its descendants, so effectively deprecating it in another document
seems pretty confusing. I think that {+restconf}/data should remain the
main entry point to configuration for an average client.

Lada