Re: [netext] multi-LMA : how to handle

"Mohana Jeyatharan" <Mohana.Jeyatharan@sg.panasonic.com> Thu, 26 November 2009 09:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 17:16:28 +0800
From: Mohana Jeyatharan <Mohana.Jeyatharan@sg.panasonic.com>
To: Marco Liebsch <liebsch@nw.neclab.eu>
Cc: netext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netext] multi-LMA : how to handle

Hi Marco,

Thanks for reply.  Please see some replies in-line.

BR,
Mohana
Behalf
> Of Marco Liebsch
> Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:08 PM
> To: Mohana Jeyatharan
> Cc: netext@ietf.org
> Subject: Re: [netext] multi-LMA : how to handle
>
> Hi Mohana,
>
> please see in-line for my answer to your question.
>
> Mohana Jeyatharan wrote:
> > Hi Qin, Marco and all,
> >
> > Have been following the thread and I have one clarifying question.
> > In the multi LMA scenario that is being discussed, is CN.LMA
involved
> > during every handoff event in identifying the CN.MAG address and
> > informing to Mn's MAG?
> >
> Without pointing to a particular solution but arguing more general, I
> think
> the LMAs should be involved and have mayor control in setting up as
> well as in maintaining the localized routing states on the MAG, as
they
> are the only common nodes (common on a per MN basis) which have the
> most up to date location information about the MN and the CN
respectively.
> This is LMA1 for MN and LMA2 for CN.

[Mohana] I agree that setting up routing states, LMA has important role.
But I am not so convinced about the involvement of LMA in maintaining
routing states (handoff case). Bcos after local MAG RO is set up,
packets don't pass through LMA and local mechanims such CTX can be used
to handle RO.  Ofcourse if CTX is not used for some reason(operator
choice) then perhaps LMA control even during handoff (as you propose)
can be used.  Another point is LMA need not unnecessarily keep state for
local MAG RO. If MN MAG and CN MAG are quite close, then involving LMA
which can even be in another administrative domain can delay the local
MAG path setup especially when you have on going session as in the
handoff case.  Anyway, I am not saying that LMA involvement should not
be there. It all depends.

Another scenario is where MN LMA and CN LMA do not have trust. Then what
mechanism can be used to set up localized routing? I guess currently
such scenario is out of scope of the discussion.

> > If AAA is used as a common trusted entity in identfying CN.LMA
address
> > and also helping in creating SA between Mn'MAG and CN'LMA, I am just
> > wondering whether AAA can be used to tell MN's MAG that it owns this
> > prefix(Mn prefix) and CN's MAG that it own the prefix(CN prefix) and
> > when bi-directional tunnels are setup between MAG using PBU/PBA such
> > validation fron AAA can be used to create the routing states at MN's
MAG
> > and CN's MAG.  Bcos in the multi LMA scenario, AAA will perhaps be
the
> > common trusted entity.
> >
> I do not think that the AAA should be used as mobility anchor, even
though
> the AAA might have information about mobility related states. For
sure,
> he'll have
> information about each MN's assigned LMA. So, I think the AAA *could*
> be used to find the MN's and the CN's LMA once during the setup of a
> localized routing path. After the setup, LMA1 and LMA2 should be
known.
> And I do not think that the localized routing solution should be
> dependent on the AAA server, hence the solution should work without
> any AAA infrastructure at all.

[Mohana] Ok. Since AAA was discussed I was thinking more along this
line.  If LMA1 (MN LMA)and LMA2 (CN LMA) have trust then no need of a
common trusted anchor.  But if they are not then was wondering whether
we need a common trusted anchor to securly establish local MAG RO.
Perhaps we can keep the scenario where there is loose trust between LMAs
out of discussion for now as I mentioned previously.

> > Just wondering whethe r CN.LMA needs to be involved during handoff
> > process or CTX and such prefix validation from a common trusted
entity
> > (AAA) between LMA1 and LMA2 can be used in setting up the MAG to MAG
RO
> > path.  If LMA is configured as the initiator of MAG to MAG RO, then
> > MN.MAG and CN.LMA association may be needed but if MAG is the
initiator
> > of RO then perhaps this can be avoided in the handoff case.
> >
> both LMAs should be involved as they do not change and they have the
> most recent location information. However, as we propose, even though
> both LMAs are involved in the signaling, one LMA should have the
> control (e.g. LMA2). Then the maintenance during handover cannot run
> into a deadlock situation and the solution does not need the AAA
server
> as common anchor.
> > Also I have few general opinions on MAG initiated RO or LMA
initiated
> > RO.
> > Definitely as folks have discussed and identified, LMA is definitely
> > used in detection of CN.MAG and aid in establishing RO, but MAG can
be
> > initiator of local MAG RO eventhough MN and CN are not attached to
the
> > same MAG.  Perhaps the MAG is informed of CN addresses by MN using
some
> > L2 mechanism and hence it can initiate RO for a bunch of CNs
> > simultaneously.
> I don't think you need L2 here, as a data packet from MN to CN, which
> is forwarded by the MN's MAG, carries the CN's IP address.
> Or did I misunderstand your proposal?
>
> >  Thus LMA need not wait for session to be started
> > between every MN and each CN to establish the RO.
> >
> Ah, maybe now I get your point. You propose to set up a localized
> routing path between the MN and a set of potential CNs before
> data will be sent, right?

[Mohana] Yes.

 I think an important question to answer here
> is how long localized routing states will be kept alive? Our current
view
> (and implementation) sets localized routing states up when the're
needed
> (when data is sent). They are removed when a session terminates, say
> after a timeout in case no further data packets reset the timer. These
> states are rather soft-states.

[Mohana] My thinking was to setup states if the MAG thinks that
communication with certain CNs need to be optimized. Based on
application or the type of service domain in which CN is placed the MAG
may initiate such local rotuing request.  Ofcourse once the session is
complete the local MAG RO can be torn down.  Suppose you are frequently
communicating with such CNs then local MAG RO states can be kept for a
long time.

If you set them up before there is data,
> I am wondering when you delete them again? And how should the
> MN decide if a localized route to CN1, CN2, etc makes sense? Their
> location is transparent to the MN.

[Mohana] are you refering to CNs placed in another provider domain with
repect to MN.  In such a case, probably localized routing is not
essential.  MN's MAG does not know anything about where CN is.  It just
wants RO based on some information given to CN.  In such a case LMA
needs to assist.  Anyway as all of us have agreed LMA definitely needs
to play its role in supporting local MAG RO.

Thanks.
What do you think?

> marco
>

> > Thanks.
> >
> > BR,
> > Mohana

CN

> > different
> >
> >> scenarios. Whether using MAG initiated or using LMA initiated
depends

> > on

> > local
> >
> >> routing is possible, then MAG initiated is more appropriate.

> > attach
> >
> >> to the same MAG, MAG initiated local routing can

> > MAG.

> >> control/enforce

> >> mechanism

> > may
> >
> >> know if

or

> > not.

> >> initiated local routing. Also single MAG case can be divided into
two

> > sub
> >
> >> cases: i.e.,A11 and A12 described in the PS draft. These two sub
cases
> >> should be taken care in the solution draft.

> > routing,
> >
> >> but it seems to me who initiate localized routing does not depend
on

> > who
> >
> >> control  the setup of the localized route. In the MAG initiate
> >>
> > localized
> >
> >> routing, MAG can initiate local routing with LMA to see whether
> >>
> > localized
> >
> >> routing is available.

> >> [Qin]: Okay.

> > MAG
> >
> >> initiate both can be used.

> > MAGs
> >
> >> but connect to the different LMA or the same LMA.

> > MAG
> >
> >> is one generic issue we should face for all the Multi-LMA cases.

> >> synchroizing, it has the same problem. Suppose MN connect to the
LMA1,

> > new
> >
> >> MAG needs to setup SA with the LMA1 dynamically again.

> >> between

> > LMA

> > i.e.,
> >
> >> to which MAG the MN will move. Therefore

> >> beforehand.

> > and a

> > forwarding

> >> [Qin]: I agree SA and forwarding tunnel are two different things.
But

> > the
> >
> >> common aspect of both is
> >> SA and forwarding tunnel for one MN can be reused by the other MN
who
> >> arrives at the same MAG
> >> and routes the packet  to the same tunnel end point, i.e., LMA.
Right?

> >> impact

> >> issue is

> > shared

> > the
> >
> >> same LMA as the first MN.

> > an

> >> [Qin]: It seem to me it does not matther whether SA is
pre-established

> > or
> >
> >> dynamically established.
> >> The key point is whether SA can be shared by all the MNs who are
using

> > the
> >
> >> same path between MAG and LMA.

> > or
> >
> >> per-CN and can be reused

> > occurs.

> > not
> >
> >> neccessary to be established

> > CN's

> > MAG
> >
> >> within the same domain, am I right?

> > be

> >> [Qin]: To me, the physical distance is not big issue. The more
> >>
> > important
> >
> >> thing is whether communication between MAGs is within the
> >> same provider domain or acrosss provider domain.

> >> with LMA2, if there is no SA between MAG1 and LMA2, we can ask

> >> whether MAG1 can fetch CN's MAG address from LMA2.

> > from
> >
> >> LMA2, LMA2 should validate the message from MN's MAG1 using AAA
> >>
> > mechanism.

> > first MN
> >
> >> who is attaching to the MAG triggers this MAG to setup SA with LMA,

> > MAG to
> >
> >> protect the data traffic between MAG and LMA Therefore the second
MN

> > who

> > the
> >
> >> existing SA can be reused.

> > whereas

> > you

> >> protocol, discovery is done once as well.

> > case
> >
> >> for multi-LMA.

> > localized
> >
> >> routing path, LMA still

> > MN's
> >
> >> MAG.

> > MAG,
> >
> >> it is not MN's LMA but MN's new MAG who is first to know that MN's
> >> handover happen, then MN's new MAG can trigger LMA to notify CN's
MAG

> >> update MN's MAG address at CN's MAG,

> > MN's

> > requires,

> >> localized

> > routing

> > does
> >
> >> not

> > without

> >> [Qin]: Since localized routing protocol can be used between source
> >> MAG(i.e., MN's MAG) and LMA,
> >> it also can be used between target MAG and LMA. I don't think it is
> >>
> > big
> >
> >> issue.
> >> Also in some case, MN's prefix and CN's prefix should be validated
> >> create for valid routing between MAGs.
> >> therefore LMA can notify both MAG that MN's prefix or CN's prefix
is

> > valid
> >
> >> each time handover happens.Also LMA can tell target MAG the
> >>
> > information
> >
> >> about localized routing.
> >> On the other hand, when routing path is established, target MAG
need

> >> install localized routing states. This mechanism is quite similar
> >>
> > the
> >
> >> routing optimization between MN and CN described in RFC3775 and
> >>
> > RFC4866.

> > based
> >
> >> on

> >> infrastructure

> > should
> >
> >> be

> > can
> >
> >> ask AAA server push the keying materails which is used to protect
the
> >> trust relationship between MN's MAG and CN's LMA to the MN's MAG
and

> > CN's
> >
> >> LMA respectively. In this sense, the trust relationship between
MN's

> > MAG
> >
> >> and CN's LMA can be easily setup.

> >> touched