[Netext] Redirection Problem Statement

jouni.nospam at gmail.com (jouni korhonen) Fri, 27 February 2009 12:12 UTC

From: "jouni.nospam at gmail.com"
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:12:42 +0200
Subject: [Netext] Redirection Problem Statement

Hi Pierrick,

[snip]

>>> You seem to consider LMA switching only during PBU/PBA exchange.
>>> When LMA redirection is expected to take place during an active
>>> session, I the LMA should be able to initiate redirection: I mean
>>> that the LMA should be able to notify, thanks to a dedicated
>>> message, attached MAGs to switch to r2LMA. This feature could be
>>> useful when the operator wants to shutdown a LMA for maintenance
>>> reason. What do you think?
>>
>> I am primarily interested in the LMA redirection during the initial
>> PBU/PBA exchange. The reason being that there is no state established
>> yet on the LMA side (which also means the LMA has not either
>> contacted
>> the backend system). I would gain a lot in signaling and avoid
>> unnecessary setup of state in various places.
>>
>> The LMA initiated redirection of an existing session is interesting
>> and should also be studied. However, it involves a lot more,
>> especially if we want to maintain the mobility session.
>>

> For sure, LMA initiated redirection leads to a more sophisticated
> mechanism; but, depending on the interest of the WG, it could be
> interesting to include it in the ps draft. Let's see other comments
> on the ML....

There were few I-Ds on this front:
	o draft-krishnan-mext-ha-redirect-01
	o draft-ietf-mip6-hareliability-04

The latter is rather thorough, but does not necessarily fit in PMIP6
context. The PS I-D surfaces the LMA initiated redirect when the
mobility session is already up & running but does not go into details
such are related context transfer and how to deal with routing (when
the HNP gets moved from LMA to another). I am open for proposals.

Cheers,
	Jouni