Re: [netext] New Version Notification for draft-liebsch-netext-pmip6-qos-01.txt

Marco Liebsch <Marco.Liebsch@neclab.eu> Wed, 02 May 2012 10:19 UTC

From: Marco Liebsch <Marco.Liebsch@neclab.eu>
To: "Lee, Yiu" <Yiu_Lee@Cable.Comcast.com>, Sri Gundavelli <sgundave@cisco.com>, "netext@ietf.org" <netext@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 10:19:10 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.6.1]
Subject: Re: [netext] New Version Notification for draft-liebsch-netext-pmip6-qos-01.txt

Hi Yiu,

good comment! Please let me add to Hidetoshi's feedback.
I don't think the mobility session should be broken just because the MAG
cannot enforce the QoS rules as provided by the LMA.

There are different cases: the MAG may propose QoS rules in the PBU and the LMA
may accept or adjust (e.g. downgrade) them, then notify the MAG in the PBA.
We should assume that the MAG can enforce the QoS policy it proposes to the LMA
in the PBU.

The other case is that the MAG does not include QoS, but receives QoS policies
from the LMA in the PBA. In case it cannot enforce the provided rules but all other
requirements are met to enable the mobility session state as result of the received
PBA, the mobility binding should be accepted while QoS can be re-negotiated in the
background. In such case, the traffic is forwarded, possibly using a default or BE QoS,
and the MAG proposes alternative QoS to the LMA in an updating PBU.

Could that be a satisfying solution? We may even consider an administrative
setting for loose or strong QoS support. Loose support would follow the
above operation, whereas strong support may allow accepting a
mobility binding at LMA and MAG only when the negotiated QoS
can be enforced.

What do you think?

marco