[Netext] review of draft-gundavelli-netext-extensions-motivation Re: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-tsirtsis-netext-controversy-00.txt

tsirtsis at googlemail.com (George Tsirtsis) Tue, 19 May 2009 15:34 UTC

From: "tsirtsis at googlemail.com"
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:34:25 -0400
Subject: [Netext] review of draft-gundavelli-netext-extensions-motivation Re: Fwd: I-D Action:draft-tsirtsis-netext-controversy-00.txt

Sri, et.al.,

First of all thanks for putting this together. You seem to have done
this reluctantly implying that you had to waste your time doing this.
This is sad by itself, but it also compound by a number of sniping
comments and cheap shots which I am generally trying to ignore.

Believe it or not, however, your draft indicates progress in the
quality level of this discussion, which in general has been rather
low.

In draft-tsirtsis I had to spend an inordinate amount of time and
effort proving self-evident facts, like the fact that the
controversial extensions to PMIPv6 REQUIRE the definition of an MN-MAG
interface. This has been continually disputed by part of this
community, and it has consumed large amount of time during mailing
list discussions and even during the NETEXT BOF). The situation in
NETEXT BOF was actualy truly appalling with even the BOF chairs
refusing to recognize this as a fact, and even Jari being tentative
about it.

You of course are trying to make it look like that this was the plan
all along, which is nonsense but that's OK.  I am glad that at least
your draft openly and finally states that an MN-AR interface is indeed
needed.

So, please NETEXT funs, I do not want to have to argue another time
that inter-tech handoffs, multihoming, and flow movement need MN
involvement and MN-MAG signaling.

Now our disagreement seems to be WRT what this MN-AR protocol is all
about, and how it compares to client Mobile IP. In my responses below
I am attempting to make you understand another obvious fact, one that
I hope will take less time to absorb than the need for the MN-MAG
protocol did. I summarise this here too:

You state that the MN-MAG protocol is needed so that the MN can:
-	Provide its interface ID(s), and (I am extrapolating) the presence of VIs etc
-	Indicate whether it wants to handoff or not
-	Register multiple IFs at the same time (multihoming)
-	Indicate which flow should be routed to which MAG (flow movement)
I agree that all of this is needed to have a complete solution and had
to wrote draft-tsirtsis partly to prove this point. In
draft-gundavelli, however, you talk about these functions somewhat
dismissively as if they are trivial and not a big deal. If you
actually think for a minute you will realize this:

1)	This MN-MAG protocol will be client initiated i.e., the MN will be
requesting various things from the MAGs
2)	All of these functions are exactly what client Mobile IP provides,
MIPv4 to the FA, MIPv6 directly to HA.
3)	When you add security all of the above becomes more complex than you think

Why do you think this is going to be ?simpler? than client Mobile IP?

What I am claiming in draft-tsirtsis (section 5) is that the
functionality you require results in a protocol very much like MIPv4
FA-mode, except maybe that security is likely to become a
chain-of-trust model with MN-MAG and MAG-LMA legs instead of the usual
end-to-end security used by MIP. I think such security model might
face some interesting challenges ahead, but thats a discussion for
another day.

In the end you will end up with a lot (if not all) of the complexity
you allegedly trying to avoid.

This is why the comparison to client based mobility is relevant and
important, and why the bar for a new protocol must be high. This is
why once you introduce MN-MAG interface you have to question why this
is not just reintroduction of the FA in the MIPv6 architecture and if
it is really needed how it would be best introduced in the MIP
architecture.

Have a nice day.

George
P.S.: See more comments inline.

NETEXT WG                                                  S. Gundavelli
Internet-Draft                                                     Cisco
Intended status: Informational                              May 05, 2009
Expires: November 6, 2009

              Extensions to Proxy Mobile IPv6 - Motivation
          draft-gundavelli-netext-extensions-motivation-00.txt
?

6.  Response to draft-tsirtsis-netext-controversy

   The [draft-tsirtsis-netext-controversy] argues that IETF should not
   allow the proposed new extensions to Proxy Mobile IPv6.  It is
   unfortunate that the draft was not written in a constructive and an
   impartial manner.  Its clear, the basic purpose of the draft is to
   favor client-based solution.  That is fine.  One can certainly
   disregard these comments as one's opinion, affiliation or attachment
   to a specific technology as the reason for strong and a one sided
   view.  But, to an innocent reader who may not know all the technical
   details may be misled reading such views.  So, its important to
   respond to these comments.

GT> I am glad you decided to speak for the ?innocent reader?. I will
try hard to ignore sniping comments like that letting your innocent
reader decide what they say about their author.

   The draft mostly argues on legal grounds and makes number of
   assumptions which are incorrect and continues to build the case based
   on those assumptions and finally arrives at its own conclusions.  To
   state a few:

   o  The draft assumes that the mobile node in a Proxy Mobile IPv6
      domain has no ability, or it should not be able to express
      attachment, handoff or flow preferences to the network.  The
      document builds the entire case based on this argument.  It
      completely ignores the operating environment and does not even
      mention about the MN-AR Interface document
      [draft-ietf-netlmm-mn-ar-if-03], or the SDO specific interfaces,
      which was always considered in the protocol design.

GT> Maybe you should read draft-tsirtsis more carefully. Draft-tsirtsis
   a) states the undisputed fact that the MN was never supposed to be
involved (this still the case according to NETLMM charter)
   b) it then proves that the desired extensions require that the MN
is involved (e.g., in section 4). This which was necessary to do since
the need for MN involvement has been disputed multiple times,
including during the NETEXT BOF. So, I am now glad you finally agree
and openly state that this is really unavoidable.
   c) The draft also talks about the implications of MN involvement
(e.g., section 5)

   o  The draft fails to differentiate between a mobile node expressing
      minimal hints to the network, such as attachment, connection or
      flow preferences, to a full blown mobile node with all the complex
      software requiring massive system resources and performing all
      aspects of mobility management.

GT> I happen to work for a company that builds such functionality in
mobile phones for a living; It might be reasonable to assume that I
know something about what such devices can do. I suggest that you
might be a bit behind in your appreciation of what such devices are
capable of these days.

  It equates both as one and the
      same with the conclusion that any software on the host is the same
      as client-based mobility.  But, it does not see the difference,
      boiling a glass of water to boiling an ocean.

GT> You may want to consider that comparison yourself. Based on what
you want to do in section 5 you will have to define a protocol that
can handle:
- roaming,
- inter-tech handovers,
- multihoming, and
- flow movement.
You will have to do this interoperably and securely.  Why do you think
that this is going to be a ?simple? protocol? Where do you think the
perceived complexity involved with say MIPv6 coming from, if not from
the fact that it needs to support all of the above functions?

   o  The draft reviews some of the multihoming and flow mobility
      scenario's and makes a case that it is not possible to perform
      flow mobility or support complex handoff scenario's without the
      mobile node being aware and which is correct.  Ack !  But, again
      it ignores the MN-AR Interface or SDO specific layer which can be
      used for such purpose.

GT> Perfect, as I said many people in NETEXT BOF and in the mailing
list have been trying to dodge the issue claiming that MN involvement
may not actually be needed.

   o  The draft ignores the market direction and the industry
      preferences for network-based mobility management, either in the
      form of Proxy Mobile IPv6 or Generic Tunneling Protocol [GTP], and
      the resulting benefits in that approach.

GT> The draft does not ignore them at all. Markets, rarely ask for
specific protocols. They mostly ask for functionality which we then
have to provide with ?reasonable? protocol designs, which is what this
discussion is all about.

   o  The draft disregards the amount of scrutiny, reviews and the
      external validations that went into the base protocol design for
      ensuring the protocol followed the IETF design principles.

GT> The draft does not ignore that either. On the contrary is fully
aware of the resistance experienced during PMIPv6 base protocol design
to even add basic requirements like the Handoff Indication to the
design, and the fact that the same attitude of not facing up to issues
is repeated now with further controversial extensions.

   The following sections respond to more specific comments, on section
   by section basis.

6.1.  PMIP with Host Signaling & Historic Reasons - Clarification

   There is a comment, a mobile node in a Proxy Mobile IPv6 domain is
   not allowed to have any intelligence.  And there will point you to
   some incomplete and ambiguous line in the charter that was never ever
   discussed widely during the formation of NETLMM working group and
   which went practically unnoticed.  Even if it did, it does not mean
   much and is not relevant.  In any case, following is the response to
   that comment.

   Proxy Mobile IPv6 was certainly created with the goal that the mobile
   node will not perform any mobility signaling with its local mobility
   anchor.

GT> This is the only thing draft-tsirtsis says. It says nothing about
mobiles being ?stupid?, ?dumb? or anything like that.

  So far it is correct.  However, no where in the base
   protocol specification, it ever stated and assumed that:

   o  that the mobile node that attached to a Proxy Mobile IPv6 domain
      will be a dumb and a stupid terminal which can do only a single
      attachment, cannot dynamically manage its interfaces or cannot
      configure an address dynamically on a real or on a virtual
      interface.

   o  that it will be disallowed from providing handoff, attachment or
      flow preferences to the network, through a SDO specific interface
      layer.

   o  that an operator cannot install any intelligent application
      software, such as connection manager which using the configured
      policies or user inputs, makes the network attachment decisions.

   o  that it will be disallowed from being aware of the operating
      environment.

GT> I am not sure what the above list proves and draft-tsirtsis does
not contradict any of the above.

   These restrictions do not make any sense and are not needed.
   Providing attachment and handoff preferences was always factored in
   to the design.  The MN-AR Interface document
   [draft-ietf-netlmm-mn-ar-if-03] which was a working document prior to
   the adoption of the initial Proxy Mobile IPv6 document, was specified
   for that purpose.  The protocol also allowed this interface to be
   defined in a SDO specific manner, specifying the protocol between the
   network nodes only by reacting to the provided events.  This is not a
   design flaw, but allowing the room for all the extensions to come in
   place in a evolutionary manner.

   An application software such as connection manager is a basic host
   requirement for any multihomed terminal and is not a Proxy Mobile
   IPv6 requirement.  This component cannot be avoided on any multihomed
   host.  The behavior of any host will be unpredictable and unreliable
   with respect to the choices it makes for all its network connections.
   Proxy Mobile IPv6 only requires few additional hooks on such software
   module, that too for supporting some features.

GT> A Connectivity manager, is typically self-contained, in-box,
implementation specific software, which does not produce any
out-of-box signaling. What you are talking about here is MN to AR
signaling which is clearly beyond the remit of what a normal
connectivity manager normally is all about. This is not a bad thing
by-itself but you keep talking about this as if existing connectivity
manager will just provide the PMIP-hooks for free.

6.2.  MAG ... the new FA ?

   Section 5.2.2 of [draft-tsirtsis-controversy-00] tries hard to imply
   that functional element, mobile access gateway is the same as foreign
   agent in Mobile IPv4, with the objective to prove that any software
   requirement on the client maps to Mobile IPv4 model.  Sure, the
   models map in the mobility element count, but there are role
   differences in each of those models and the argument completely
   discounts this aspect.

   In a network-based mobility model, there is an element on the network
   that is designated to perform the mobility management functions.  We
   can call this a foreign agent, mobile access gateway or a mobility
   proxy, but the functional role has a specific purpose and the model
   is not Mobile IPv4.  The functional role of the mobile node is not
   beyond than managing its interfaces, address configuration and
   expressing handoff and flow preferences to the network.

GT> Are you actually reading what you are writing? You claim that with
PMIP the MN?s role is *passive*, and yet you also say it is
?expressing handoff and flow preferences to the network. ?. What does
client Mobile IP do beyond that??

   It plays a
   mere passive role and allowing the mobile access gateway to play the
   active role on the aspects of mobility management.  So, there is a
   fundamental difference between this when compared to the Mobile IPv4.
   In any case, the comparison that is needed is in relation to client-
   based mobility.  Following are the fundamental differences between
   all the three models:

   o  In Mobile IPv4 (FA-CoA Mode), the mode of active client and
      passive network node, the mobile node plays an active role,
      performs all aspects of mobility management, while the foreign
      agent plays mere passive role

   o  In Proxy Mobile IPv6, the mode of passive client and active
      network node, the mobile node plays a mere passive role in the
      mobility management.  It does not perform any mobility signaling
      with the local mobility anchor.  It is only expected to provide
      attachment, handoff and flow preferences to the network, while the
      mobile access gateway is responsible for performing all aspects of
      mobility management.

GT> Again, according to this the MN is *passive* but it performs all
sorts of active functions like handoff and flow movement. You do
realize that you are making no sense right?

   o  In Mobile IPv6, the mode of active client, the mobile node plays
      the active role and performs all aspects of mobility management.
      It requires Mobile IPv6 client [RFC-3775], DSMIP6 [ID-DSMIP6],
      MCOA [ID-MCOA6], IKEv2 [RFC-4306] and IPsec [RFC-4301] stacks.
      Its requires significant amount of software and system resources
      on the client.

6.3.  The Internet, the Interface, and the Host

   And we got a ticket !  We are breaking the Internet building blocks.
   Section 3.0 of [draft-tsirtsis-controversy-00] is not clear on what
   the concern is.  Following are the clarifications.

   o  The IP mobility is above network layer, it is a service layer and
      as specified in Section 6.6 of [RFC-5213], a mobile node on
      attaching to the Proxy Mobile IPv6 network is required to present
      its identify.

GT> Except it does not say how?.which is why I call RFC5213 ?incomplete?.

  So, the mobile access gateway has a clear relation
      between a mobile node's identify, its link-layer identifier and on
      the offered mobility service along with the assigned prefix.  But,
      this relation is preserved in an application layer and at the IP
      layer its just the standard protocol operation confirming to all
      the standard IETF protocols.

   o  When looked at from the perspective of IP layer, the MN-AR link is
      any other IP link.  Its a point-to-point link and with the mobile
      access gateway functioning as the IPv6 router on the link.  The
      prefix set that it projects on the link is always tied to that
      mobile node's interface, but that relation is preserved in
      application layer and the network layer has no understanding of
      any of this relation.  Its a normal IPv6 link with the presence of
      two nodes on the link and a set of hosted IPv6 prefixes.

GT> Which as draft-tsirtsis indicates is fine as long as the MN has a
single interface.

   o  The comment on NDP operation for multihomed hosts is not
      applicable.  The MN-AR link is a point-to-point link, with only
      one interface of the mobile node, either real or a virtual
      interface, is present.  So, the protocol does not modify the low
      level building blocks of the Internet and so the allegation is not
      correct.

6.4.  What is wrong with PMIP so far ? Nothing !

   Clarifications to Section 4.0 of [draft-tsirtsis-controversy-00] in
   the same order.

   1.  The absence of MN-AR interface, as an IETF specified interface
       does not imply the protocol is broken.  For example, the IP layer
       is built with the assumption that the layer-2 driver for a given
       access technology will provide the required hooks for the IP
       layer.  Its the same thing here.  A given SDO can define such
       interface.

GT> Yes, this is the definition of ?broken? or at least the definition
of ?incomplete? as I call it in draft-tsirtsis. One of the major flaws
of PMIPv6 is that it is NOT self-contained.

   2.  It is indeed correct that there is no concept of a MAC address in
       certain link-layer technologies, but that's only in CDMA and in
       LTE.

GT>So all the 3GPP and 3GPP2 interfaces?you call that ?only??

The absence of such semantic in these two technologies is
       not a problem for the current operating environment.

          - the protocol uses the Access Technology Type for the
          uniqueness and for a dual-mode terminal that are going to be
          in the market, it is highly unlikely there are multiple
          radio's of the same type.

          - even otherwise, a simple semantic allowing the mobile node
          to present an identifier as part of the attachment preferences
          will be just fine.

GT> sure, which will then have to be secured appropriately, you also
want to add flow movement and handoff indications etc, as I said this
is not as simple as you try making it out to be.

   3.  The use of virtual interfaces is a host specific semantic.  It is
       perfectly valid for a host to use the physical interfaces in a
       bridged mode and present a virtual link-layer identifier.  This
       is perfectly valid and many protocols such as HRRP or VRRP use
       such mode.  This has no implication on the IPv6 link or on the
       link neighbors.

GT> Did anyone say this is a problem? On the contrary draft-tsirtsis
says this is necessary, and it had to say this since a lot of PMIP
folks have been arguing forever that somehow it might not be needed.
You of course continue to pretend that you are oblivious to the fact
that there is no way to signal the fact that a VI exists or that two
specific interfaces are under a given VI.

   4.  It is true that the mobile node can potentially specify if the
       given attachment is due to an handoff or as result of a new
       interface bringup.  But, the absence of such event is fine in
       most cases.  The network through context transfer procedures or
       through other means, can derive that information.  We can
       certainly add this in the IETF specified MN-AR interface layer.

6.5.  Its not a Tool Proliferation !

   A comment was made in Section 5.2.3 of
   [draft-tsirtsis-controversy-00], that allowing host participation in
   any level, is equivalent to client performing all aspects of mobility
   management and results in redundant tool proliferation.

   Its not always a binary logic.  No host involvement in mobility
   management does not imply the host has zero awareness of the
   operating environment, or that it is disallowed from running any
   intelligent software such as connection manager, or that is a
   violation for it express its connection or flow preferences to the
   network.  That was never a basis for the design of the Proxy Mobile
   IPv6 protocol.  Allowing the host to have such capabilities only
   improves the protocol and cannot be considered as a tool
   proliferation.

   Even otherwise, new ideas, fresh discoveries on how to deploy a
   technology in a real-world network and when coupled by urgent
   customer needs, always can re-shape a technology.  A technology
   solution that start with Protocol-A need not be restricted to that
   protocol, but instead can go with Protocol-B, if that happens to be a
   better protocol and if market wants that solution.  There are many
   instances in IETF, where it allowed multiple technologies to co-exist
   and let the market adopt what is right, to name a few:

GT> This is of course true. What I claim is not that this is never
allowed,  but that the bar for new entrants must be high and the
reasons and architectural implications must be understood before
creating yet another protocol that does the same thing with an
existing one.