Re: [netext] WG LC: draft-ietf-netext-pmip-lr

Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com> Mon, 27 June 2011 17:30 UTC

Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:23:37 -0400
From: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>
To: "cjbc@it.uc3m.es" <cjbc@it.uc3m.es>
Cc: "netext@ietf.org" <netext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [netext] WG LC: draft-ietf-netext-pmip-lr

Hi Carlos,

Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano wrote:
> Hi Suresh,
>
> On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 18:31 -0400, Suresh Krishnan wrote:
>> Hi Carlos,
>>    Addressing the 4 open issues from the last mail.

>> Yes. There is complexity involved here, but not because of the messages
>> being bidirectional. The root of the complexity is that the MAG and the
>> LMA can both be initiators. We tried a lot to come up with a
>
> Right.
>
>> deterministic model where one entity can always be the initiator and we
>> could not do so.
>
> But couldn't different messages be used? I think it makes the state
> machine more complex to use the same message type as initiator in
> different directions. Anyway, this is an implementation related comment,
> and I'm not that experienced in implementing stuff...

The consensus was that adding another message was more complex than the
current mechanism. I can keep the issue open and present it again to the
wg. Would you prefer that?

>> This is exactly how it is done. In A12 (before it turns into A22) the
>> MAG is the initiator and the text says that the initiator should tear
>> down the session.
>
> OK, maybe I missed that.

>> We left it out of scope since an IPv4-only MAG is explicitly ruled out
>> by RFC5844
>
> In any case, if the MAG and LMA are separated by an IPv4 network (as
> explained in RFC5844), don't we need an MAG IPv4 address option as we do
> for the case of the MAG IPv6 address? I'm missing why if IPv4 transport
> between MAG and LMA is supported by RFC5844, we are ruling out that in
> the LR spec.
>
>> "Both the mobility entities, the local mobility anchor and the
>>   mobile access gateway are dual-stack (IPv4/IPv6) enabled.
>>   Irrespective of the type of transport network (IPv4 or IPv6)
>>   separating these two entities, the mobility signaling is always
>>   based on Proxy Mobile IPv6 protocol."
>
> One thing is the signaling being based on PMIPv6, and another is that
> packets are transported in IPv6 or IPv4 packets. If transport is
> IPv4-based, then the LMA needs to know the IPv4 address of the MAG,
> right?

Not necessarily. According to the agreed problem statement (RFC6279)
deployments can assume that the IP version used for transport is
consistent across MAGs and can be either IPv4 or IPv6. I think that
specifying IPv4 transport as well would complicate the LR protocol. If
you feel strongly about this, we can keep this issue open to present to
the WG.

>> Yes. This is possible, but is there any benefit to changing this?
>
> Well, if there is a simpler way of doing something (without defining new
> fields), the fair question would be IMHO, is there any benefit in
> defining the S flag?

I do not see a big difference either way. I think I will go ahead and
remove the S flag like you suggested.

Thanks
Suresh