[Netext] Draft revision of the NETEXT charter

w52006 at huawei.com (Yungui Wang) Wed, 22 April 2009 01:42 UTC

From: "w52006 at huawei.com"
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:42:33 +0800
Subject: [Netext] Draft revision of the NETEXT charter

Hello Jari

I am concerning of how MIF capable node works in PMIP domain.
In the charter of MIF, there is a paragraph described as below:
"...The group shall not assume any
software beyond basic IP protocol support on its peers or in network
nodes. No work will be done to enable traffic flows to move from one
interface to another. The group recognizes existing work on mechanisms
that require peer or network support for moving traffic flows such as
RFC 5206, RFC 4980 and the use of multiple care-of addresses in Mobile
IPv6. This group does not work on or impact such mechanisms.  ..."

That's, MIF capable node is dependent on network to provide traffic flows
moving among interfaces. However, how to do traffic flows handover
between interfaces in PMIP domain is not described. If MIF capable node
is located in PMIP domain, then this feature will be disable.
I am wondering if/when these works will be done in Netext(PMIP).
Some PS and I-D had stated these issues as below.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-devarapalli-netext-multi-interface-support-
00
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jeyatharan-netext-multihoming-ps-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xia-netext-flow-binding-00
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-koodli-flow-handover-00
Thus, personally propose this working item is included in the charter
and making things progress. Thanks.

B.R.
Yungui