Re: Netfax

Bob Kalal <kalal@tardis.acs.ohio-state.edu> Wed, 02 December 1992 21:25 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1992 16:06:39 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Bob Kalal <kalal@tardis.acs.ohio-state.edu>
To: mhn@stubbs.ucop.edu, katz@adonis.com, netfax@stubbs.ucop.edu, Cohen@isi.edu
Subject: Re: Netfax

As Alan writes:

> Greetings Mark (and everyone) from the great Northwest.
>
> Since I have left ISI and now work for a company (Adonis) that does
> not have anything to do with imaging (at least not yet), I can devote
> very little time or effort to the Netfax standard.  I do hope,
> however, that it does not die but actually becomes a real and useful
> standard.
>
> How can we make sure this happens?  I can probably continue to
> edit future versions of the document (if necessary!) but will be unable
> to attend IETF's or spend alot of time defending the document or
> answering questions.  As people start to experiment with it, I expect
> some things will have to be changed (e.g., we completely forgot
> about the Big Endian/Little Endian).
>
> Is the Netfax list still active?  Anybody have progress to report
> on using the Netfax standard?  If not, how can we encourage
> people to start using it??

Well, for one thing, we're working to implement the standard in an
upcoming release of our OSU Network Fax Project software. As you may
know, workstations running our software are used for interlibrary
loan document delivery in the Big Ten and some Ohio schools. Though
we couldn't afford to participate fully at meetings, we supported
the development of the standard. Our public documents have always
said that we would work to adopt the standard as soon as it was
approved and we're part-way there now. We hope that a release in
early 1993 will be compliant at least as an option.

Bob Kalal
Ohio State University
Academic Computing Services