RE: [netlmm] IPv4 Support

"Chowdhury, Kuntal" <kchowdhury@starentnetworks.com> Fri, 20 April 2007 17:34 UTC

Subject: RE: [netlmm] IPv4 Support
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:34:16 -0400
From: "Chowdhury, Kuntal" <kchowdhury@starentnetworks.com>
To: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>, Vijay Devarapalli <vijay.devarapalli@AzaireNet.com>
Cc: netlmm@ietf.org

Alex,

Please see inline...

[KC>] You are correct. In the PPP (LCP/IPCP) based MN-AR link, the IPv4
address assignment may happen at this step. Here is a call flow that
shows the PPP scenario in more details:

     +----+                  +-------+              +-------+   +-----+
     | MN/|                  |MAG/NAS|              | LMA   |   |AAA  |
     |User|                  |       |              |       |   |     |
     +----+                  +-------+              +-------+   +-----+
       |                         |                      |          |
       |    LCP (CHAP/PAP)       |                      |          |
    1) |<----------------------->|<---------AAA(Auth/CHAP/PAP)---->|
       |                         |                      |          |
       | IPCP Cfg-Req [v4add]    |                      |          |
    2) +------------------------>|                      |          |
       |                         | PBU [v4HoAExt]       |          |
    3) |                         +--------------------->|          |
       | IPv6CP Cfg-Req[nasv4addd]                      |          |
    4) |<------------------------+                      |          |
       |                         | PBA [v4HoAExt(HoA)]  |          |
    5) |                         |<---------------------+          |
       | IPv6CP Cfg-NAK[v4add(HoA)]                     |          |
    6) |<------------------------+                      |          |
       |                         |                      |          |
       | IPv6CP Cfg-ACK          |                      |          |
    7) +------------------------>|                      |          |
       |                         |                      |          |
       | IPv6CP Cfg-Req[v4add(HoA)]                     |          |
    8) +------------------------>|                      |          |
       |                         |                      |          |
       | IPv6CP Cfg-ACK          |                      |          |
    9) |<------------------------+                      |          |
       |                         |                      |          |

> The DHCPv4 exchange seems to approach it right.   The DHCP Offer and
> Request you picture between MN and MAG could extend to the DHCP
Server,
> which I assume to be different than the MAG (a DHCP Relay), by a
certain
> SDO.

[KC>] DHCPDISCOVER may be propagated to an external DHCP server. There
are some issues with that approach, e.g. if the DHCP server assigns the
address but the PBA comes back with an error code, there is no way for
the MN to get IP service and there is no way for the DHCP relay agent
(assumed to be collocated in the NAS/MAG) to inform the DHCP Server of
the PMIP binding failure.

> You seem to have already made a decision that PBack brings the IPv4
> address to MN, whereas it could have been done with a real DHCP Offer
> and Ack, not simulated.

[KC>] If you are alluding to IPv4 address assignment via a DHCP server,
there are issues (see my previous comment) that are non-trivial to
solve.

> I think we could ponder what is easier to implement: build a new DHCP
> Proxy entity plus ProxyMIPv6/IPv4, or maybe reuse a complete DHCPv4
> implementation, no modification on it, and use its messages to trigger
> the ProxyBU.

[KC>] Please note that DHCP proxy entity is nothing but a DHCP server.
We submitted an I-D in DHC WG and presented it during San Diego IETF. It
was made clear to us that DHCP server won't have to a physical node with
IP address repository. It can be part of the NAS and it can fetch IP
address from external sources via any mechanism such as PMIP. The I-D is
available here:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dhc/draft-sarikaya-dhc-proxyagent-00.txt

> Then there's this question of differentiating the handover from
initial
> attachment.  The DISCOVER is sent only at initial attachment
(usually).
>   Upon handover, usually, only the REQUEST is sent, no DISCOVER.
Remark,
> as you, I'm trying to have a complete reuse of the DHCP implementation
> on MN, no modification of DHCP.

[KC>] I am not sure why the MN has to send a DHCP message upon handover?
As long as the T1, T2 timers (renew and rebind) are valid, there is no
need to send DHCP messages for IP address management. If the MN
disconnects before the T1, T2 timers are expired, the MN's DHCP stack
should detect that and transition to proper state in DHCP state machine.
For inter MAG HO, there are various ways to deal with the situation:
context transfer, AAA interaction etc. are some possible ways.