RE: [netlmm] Significance of MN-Identifier

"Alper Yegin" <alper.yegin@yegin.org> Tue, 11 September 2007 21:08 UTC

From: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>
To: "'Chowdhury, Kuntal'" <kchowdhury@starentnetworks.com>, 'Sri Gundavelli' <sgundave@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [netlmm] Significance of MN-Identifier
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 00:07:40 +0300
Cc: netlmm@ietf.org

Hi Kuntal,

> I don't know what the issue is for MN-ID in the PMIP6 signaling
> messages. Could you explain why we are having this debate?

Because, the current text is locking all PMIP6 deployments to one security
model and not leaving any room for using anything else. And it is doing so
without a good reason (unintentionally, I believe).

> MN-ID is the unique identifier to identify the session state in the LMA.

It is necessary only of the MN does not know its HNP. As soon as it knows
the HNP (e.g., when HNP is assigned during network access authentication),
we can rely on HNP to identify the session state.

> There are several good reasons to mandate the presence of MN-ID in the
> PBU/PBA. For example, it helps to identify the session state in the LMA
> for PMIP6 - MIP6 transition scenarios, when the LMA is collocated with a
> MIP6 HA.

Can you elaborate on this scenario? You may have something here, but I need
to understand.

Alper