Re: [netlmm] Issue: Timestamp vs Sequence Number based logic

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Fri, 07 September 2007 12:43 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 14:43:16 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Julien Laganier <julien.IETF@laposte.net>
Subject: Re: [netlmm] Issue: Timestamp vs Sequence Number based logic
Cc: Christian Vogt <christian.vogt@nomadiclab.com>, 'Kilian Weniger' <Kilian.Weniger@eu.panasonic.com>, netlmm@ietf.org

Julien Laganier wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>> Julien Laganier wrote:

>>> Alex, as I wrote earlier with 48bits seconds we are safe for
>>> nearly 9 millions years.
>> Thanks, this is good to know (and sorry I have just seen now your
>>
>> We should then write down what happens at year
>> 9million+1picosecond: (1) how is the LMA making sure it survives
>> the overflowing P-BU without believing it's a very old P-BU; and
>> (2) without disrupting service to MN.
>>
>> Don't you think so?
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but I somehow feel a timestamp wrap around is not a
> problem when it is going to happen 9 millions years from now; that
> gives us ample time (9 million years I guess) to specify an extended
> timestamp option that works after 9 million years and takes
> precedence over the current timestamp option. Further, when the wrap
> around occurs we'll probably not be using IPv6 anymore...
>
> If that is really a concern to you, would you be fine with a 128 bits
>  timestamp, that would work until the end of the universe and time?

Julien, thank you for asking.  After discussing face-to-face with
colleagues around this issue, I've been also told that in 9million years
we have enough time to conquer the galaxies and/or disappear, etc, etc.

I would like to say that you are right.

It's just that when trying to specify the usage of time the things are
very complex to specify and to implement too.

Think for example that if we use timestamps that expire in 9million
years (or 128bit at the end of universe) then the common use of time
within that timestamp is going to be very localized.  Ie much of the
bits in these timestamps don't change at all, they're the same for a
long time.  This means, grosso modo, that we use 64bit to waste bandwidth.

Alex
>> a 128 bits timestamp, that would work until the end of the universe
>>  and time
PS:128bits survives the time itself?