Re: [netmod] YANG conformance-stmt (corrected)

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> Fri, 02 May 2008 18:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 11:51:48 -0700
From: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>
Cc: netmod@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [netmod] YANG conformance-stmt (corrected)
Sender: netmod-bounces@ietf.org

David Harrington wrote:

>>> So, all implementers and even module readers need to maintain
>>> every version of every module ever used in the system.
>> Nope, you only need the ones you import.
>
> I think agent implementers only need the ones they implement.
>
> Manager applications and operators (and other module readers) will
> need to keep a potentially-large database of versioned modules to
> support multiple devices that support different versions.
>
> This is not a lot different than MIB modules. I believe there are
> devices that support the RFC1643 Ether-MIB, and others that support
> the RFC3635 MIB module. A device usually supports one or the other,
> but an NMS needs to know about both versions if different devices
> support different versions.
>
> SMIv2 set rules about how modules can be updated to prevent
> incompatible differences, and we didn't have a whole tree of
> dependencies, we only had one layer of IMPORTs.

This is a solved problem in SMIv2.
I don't mind the restriction that the importing module
must accept everything in the module for the revision specified.

But SMIv2 has a way to specify multiple conformance levels for
each version of a module, all contained within the latest version
of the module.  I think YANG needs to provide the same feature,
even if it is not implemented anything like SMIv2 MODULE-CONFORMANCE.

> dbh

Andy