Re: [netmod] Another comment/question on appendix B.2 of draft-ietf-netmod-yang-module-versioning-05

Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com> Mon, 20 June 2022 13:53 UTC

From: Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com>
To: Scott Mansfield <scott.mansfield@ericsson.com>, "Sterne, Jason (Nokia - CA/Ottawa)" <jason.sterne@nokia.com>, "netmod@ietf.org" <netmod@ietf.org>
CC: "'ccamp@ietf.org'" <ccamp@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:53:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.81.208.12]
Subject: Re: [netmod] Another comment/question on appendix B.2 of draft-ietf-netmod-yang-module-versioning-05

Jason, Scott,

Thanks for the follow-up

I understand that the impact on the schema path is causing the change to be NBC, even if the impact on existing clients is minimal, and therefore the guidance in appendix B.2 should be updated accordingly

However, as far as I can understand section 11 of RFC7951, removing the mandatory statement from an existing leaf is considered a BC change:

   o  A "mandatory" statement may be removed or changed from "true" to
      "false".

Therefore, it seems that a BC alternative option, pending some clarification based on WG LC comments, is to add a when statement, as described in appendix B.2:

      container rlt-mode {
        when "not(../mode)";
        leaf num-bonded-carriers {
          type uint32;
          mandatory true;
        }
        leaf num-protecting-carriers {
          type uint32;
          mandatory true;
        }
      }

In this way, it is possible to indicate that the new leaf nodes are mandatory only when the old leaf node is not present

An alternative possibility that has just jumped into my mind, is to allow both old and new leaves to be reported (at least in the operational data store), by adding a must statement instead of a when statement:

      container rlt-mode {
        must "../mode or ./num-bonded-carriers";
        leaf num-bonded-carriers {
          type uint32;
        }
        leaf num-protecting-carriers {
          when ../num-bonded-carriers;
          type uint32;
          mandatory true;
        }
      }

In this case, when both old and new leaves are present, some consistency has to be provided to avoid inconsistent information

What do you think/suggest?

Could these (or one of these) options be considered a BC change?

Thanks, Italo