[netmod] Deborah Brungard's Yes on draft-ietf-netmod-yang-model-classification-07: (with COMMENT)

Deborah Brungard <db3546@att.com> Wed, 07 June 2017 21:24 UTC

From: Deborah Brungard <db3546@att.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-netmod-yang-model-classification@ietf.org, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, netmod-chairs@ietf.org, lberger@labn.net, netmod@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 14:24:26 -0700
Subject: [netmod] Deborah Brungard's Yes on draft-ietf-netmod-yang-model-classification-07: (with COMMENT)

Deborah Brungard has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-netmod-yang-model-classification-07: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-model-classification/

COMMENT:

My 2cents on the "type" discussion:

The sentence in Section 1 Introduction does cause confusion "A number of module
types have created substantial discussion" as it's describing the possible name
duplication of a module in two different "layers", not types. Will read better
if remove "types".

I'm very surprised that Adrian on his reading did not question the use of
"layers" to distinguish between services and network element modules. To me,
with my layer hat on, this is very confusing.

My suggestion would be to use the generic word "types" for "layers" and use
"class" to distinguish modules which are standard, vendor, user. Vendor/user
modules may/may not overlap with standard modules functionality-wise, they also
may be modules with no interest to be standardized, so they are not necessarily
associated with maturity/finer aging:-)